Nissan Micra. Is this a clutch problem?

Hi, I have a Micra with a manual gearbox. Recently when driving the car out of the garage and then pulling away I get this tinny vibration, a bit like something rubbing on a coil spring. This happens from when the clutch is half to fully engaged. Does anyone know if I'm heading for a simple inexpensive repair, or is it time for me to buy another car? Regards, Lila Duncan

Reply to
LilaDuncan

It may be a worn clutch or mechanism or cable. my guess would be the cable, which is a cheap job to get done.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks once again for your help Mr Cheerful I'll see about getting it fixed. Regards, Lila Duncan

Reply to
LilaDuncan

Cheap to get done it may be, but it's unlikely to cure the problem. It sounds like the bearing/diaphragm springs, which basically means a new clutch.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Before blaming the clutch, if it's a K11 model, I'd first check the heat shields around the front exhaust. These have a habit of fracturing the mounts due to vibration over time and then rattle in a manner similar to what the OP describes. The fix is a jubilee clip to hold it back together.

I could be wrong, it could well be the clutch, but the heat shields are so simple to check and fix, it has to be worth checking first.

BobC

Reply to
BobC

Thanks for the advice. I think the way things stand right now,the need for a new clutch, will probably mean a new car. Regards, Lila Duncan

Reply to
LilaDuncan

Thanks Bob, that seems significant to me. A previous similar rattle turned out to be a heat shield, which was removed and binned by the garage. It seems that there must be more than one of these because at the last service I was told that a heat shield was getting rusty. So your diagnosis is probably right. As one heat shield is already missing and another has possibly caused the current problem, is it feasible to get these replaced with new ones fairly easily? Would a new exhaust mount fitted at the same time be prohibitively expensive for an 'S' reg Micra? Regards, Lila Duncan

Reply to
LilaDuncan

Assuming you take it to a back street garage rather than KwikFit et al then neither will cost much.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I have a car Nissan March (micra)K11, while I am driving the in drive gear, car wont to go up, then i turn in neutral few minutes and turned to drive gear to run was ok. while this problem, if i give more accelerate the car b ad wire burn smell is coming from. please advise me.

Reply to
nutritioncoordination

On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 9:16:10 AM UTC+5:30, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

r, car wont to go up, then i turn in neutral few minutes and turned to driv e gear to run was ok. while this problem, if i give more accelerate the car , bad wire burn smell is coming from. please advise me.

Reply to
nutritioncoordination

From the sound of your description, yes, the clutch is worn out.

Reply to