Nissan Micra Shaking slightly at tickover

My other half's Nissan micra has started to shake a little at tickover, previously you could barely tell it was running.

It does seem to vary though how much it shakes, the other day I noticed it wasnt shaking at all, not sure if it was due to how I was parked(down a hill) that made the difference.

It seems to be ticking over smoothly at about 750rpm but you can feel the front of the car shaking slightly when your sat in it. There are no strange noises at tickover and it also drives as normal, no power loss and economy is the same as always. Both belts look fine on it and I removed the alternator belt and checked that the alternator/tensioner pulley were spinning freely which they were. It also revs up smoothly with no strange noises.

I was wondering if it might be an engine mounting that is worn? Its difficult to inspect the rubbers on the drivers side mount or the one above the gearbox but I can get the engine to move about 10mm or so(on both the drivers side&gearbox mount) by just holding the engine and pushing/pulling it. How much movement should their be? I tried the same test on my 2005 corsa and the engine in that wont budge.

Also the car sometimes judder's a little when setting off in first, not always tho depending on how fast you lift the clutch.

The car is a 2005 1.2 with only 44k on the clock.

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
Rob Kirk

IIRC these have adjustable tappets, if one is tight it can cause it to misfire slightly at idle but run fine otherwise, which would give you a shudder at idle.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Rob Kirk" wrote in news:k4shj9$5hu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Engine mount? thrust washer bearing dry? Throttle body going?

Reply to
Tunku

My sister had a Volvo 740 that shook at tickover which the garage said was due to a dodgy injector which wouldn't cause enough problems to be worth fixing. It ran like that for several years.

But other things you've said suggest an engine mount.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

Sounds like the air flow meter playing up.

Reply to
The Revd

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:31:29 -0700, The Rectum, the resident psychopath of sci and scj and Usenet's famous sexual cripple, FAKING his time zone again, farted:

Does it, Radabitch?

Reply to
The Peeler

maybe the first stage of timing chain stretch (early ones had a faulty batch of chains fitted)...eventually the management light will come on if this is the case...

try the simple things first, plugs etc...

Reply to
chris

And then it will intermittently fail to start when cold, then refuse to start at all.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ever thought of a g a r age ?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Plug leads.

Reply to
Rob

It appears they replace the whole tappet. 3 to 3.68 in 0.2mm steps.

Peter Hill

Shift expectations .. Shift into the 21st century.

It's a 2005 K12, he hasn't got any of those nasty horrible wiggly things.

Get a consult interface and software. Do a power balance test. This switches off each cylinder on command and the one that doesn't change the rpm or affect the running is the one that's failing. If they all do the same with no detectable difference then it's not coils or plugs but something common to all cylinders.

really need a laptop to plug it into and if driving it an assistant. Or try Micra forum
and see if someone local has one and will check your car if you take it to them.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Opportunity for high lift camshaft on the cheap? :-)

Reply to
RJH

Thinking something else, Coil packs simple test by looking at the plugs

Reply to
Rob

Hi Rob, did you get this sort and what was the fix? Similar issues with my K12 1.2.

Reply to
zulutempest

Hi Rob did you ever find a fix for this problem, mines doing similar things?

Thanks Ross

Reply to
rossnewportartist