NISSAN MICRA SHAPE 1996, STARTING PROBLEM

Hi, I have owned my nissan micra for 5 years now and have found a fault with it that every machanic i have been to does not know what they looking for or just charged me for doing nothing which is starting to

**** me off. The fault basically only happens if i move the car a very short distance from turning it on and turn it of staight after the car does not want to turn back on again, the engine turns but does not fire up, Does anyone have a clue what this fault is and if yes please suggest what i need to do in order to sort it out once and for all as i am selling the car and do not want someone to take it with this fault. the car runs fine the only way to stop this from occuring is by reving the engine before turning the car off which prevents the fault from occuring, but if u hav a big family and someone else moves ur car and forgets to rev the engine then ur back to pushing the car to start. PLEASE HELP ME Thanks K
Reply to
karim_rpr

karim snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1163464823.527168.269750 @k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

They all do that, it's the way the computer works. You simply cannot move it from inside your garage to outside your garage for a wash without turning it off. The only way round it is to restart it with your foot on the floor on the accelerator and wait for it to catch. But before you do that, wait for ten minutes. It is not a fault, per se, it is just the way those cars are.

Reply to
Tunku

unfortunately its a fault with the micras, its being flooded, they don't like going a short distance stopped & then re-started. ive come across a few of these that do exactly what your describing, I usually remove the fuel pump fuse spin it over a few times & refit the fuse, starts fine then. your best bet is to keep it ticking over if you move it a short distance before turning it off. as far as im aware there's no known cure.

Reply to
reg

Common fault with these engines. Basically when you start it, run it for a while and turn it off, the engine gets flooded with petrol. Only solution is to remove the fuel pump fuse and crank for about 10-15 seconds. This will disperse the fuel that's lying in the cylinders. Replace fuse, and try again.

The only *real* solution is not to drive the car for very short distances. The above is a testament as to why not.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

This seems to be a fairly common 'fault' with later engines. Not confined just to Micras. I had the same thing happen with my 525i BMW. Seems the only answer is to floor the accelerator, and keep trying with the starter until it starts or possibly flattens the battery. Took over 15 mins of trying before my BM fired up. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

This is **NOT** a fault in any way- it's a result of the way nissan programmed the ECUs fuelling maps.

ALL the bubble shape Micra's will exhibit this flooding symptom when started from cold and then swtiched off without being warmed up.

Alot of other fuel injected cars do the same, I could name a dozen or so.

Ensure you let it at least partially warm up before switching off, and you will not have the problem.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I wonder if those Bosch multi-electrode spark plugs would improve things? Presumably the plugs are soaked in petrol and are shorting out through the liquid. With more heat in the block this would dry off (My Nissan 2.0i also has this problem to a lesser extent)

Reply to
David Wøød

A moment for some well-aimed car-abuse, I think.

Reply to
David R

Thanks for your time to write in, to help me out with this situation. I guess i will have to make sure the car is always warm before turning it off, which is a annoying fault. Thanks again Karim

Reply to
karim

Not the only way. If you have a 'boot only' - don't know what these are called - key without a transponder, then this will turn the engine over, without activating the injectors. This rapidly clears (IME) any remaining fuel.

Also, turning the engine off, while it's revved to 3000RPM or so should also help, when it's parked after a very short time, as the engine pumps more air through while slowing down, removing the remaining fuel.

Reply to
Ian Stirling