Nissan Primera 2.0 1998 starter motor problem

My starter motor has been sounding rough when turning for the last week and now it just spins but doesn't engage at all-so won't start. Managed to jump start and get home - is it just a case of replacing the starter motor? I'm guessing the teeth are shot on the motor hopefully not on the flywheel Any experience / advice appreciated

Reply to
babyhippopotamusamphibius

It may just need the starter rebuilt, I had one in like that a while ago, the bushes were heavily worn and the rotor dragged on the field coils. once the starter is out you can get a look at the ring gear teeth.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's a common problem on Primera starters. It's the Bendix - Starters spins, but doesn't engage. A local auto-electrics shop fixed it for me while I waited - I went for lunch on an L reg 1.6, returned to it fixed. They then did it again 40K later - with the reassurance that it would never happen again (different parts?) I think the 1.6 is a little easier (more room). Haynes was talking about removing manifiold section (?) for access - but it's not necessary with care. I think the cost was ~ 80 each time. Try joining

(nissan primera owners club). HTH

Reply to
answers