Nissan Primera 2.0 TD SLX, worth it?

Hi all,

Found this ng while googling to attempt to find out about Nissan Primera's and if they are reliable, worth purchasing, common problems etc. etc.

I have seen a Nissan Primera 2.0TD SLX, S reg 72,000 miles on the clock with full Service History for £3295. The last service was at 60,000 miles but they said they would do the next service when selling and stamp the book. As its sitting a forecourt i'm hoping 2 negotiate a few pence off of that but thats the price on the ticket at the moment.

Not sure if this is the right ng so apologises if this is out of place, if not. Can anyone tell me more about these cars, are they reliable (reading suggests they are)?

What are the Diesels like, had them start the car this morning, thought the snow would make it a nice text. It started first time but it did sound like a truck. I thought newer Diesels were better now. So are diesels worth going for, what is the Turbo like? Is the saving on fuel economy worth it? I checked Parkers Guide and the MPG wasnt much different between the petrol and diesel varieties and there is little in the cost of diesel and petrol, so am I missing something that creates this great saving that diesels are supposed to give?

Is £3295 about right for this car?

Any advice appreciated. Quick replies even more appreciated as I would like to buy it today :), anyone with negotiation advice also welcome to reply :).

All the very best. Michael.

Reply to
Mikedmc

Sound a bit expensive. The Autotrader valuations are (for a 99 S plate TD SLX): Dealer: £2792, Private: £2178, Part Ex: £1427, Trade: £1384. Do you really want a car which sounds like a truck?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

According to Parkers servicing should be done every 9000 miles, since it hasn't been serviced in the last 12,000 miles I would be wary about this one

The diesel in the Primera is not the latest generation and I wouldn't expect it to be as good as a newer more modern diesel, that is not to say that it is a bad engine, it will certainly be better than diesels were 10 years ago. The combined fuel economy figure is quoted as 44mpg for the diesel and 39 for the 1.6 petrol. This is a difference of 5 mpg, more than 10%. My annual fuel bill is at least £1200, I get 43 mpg with my car (a Xantia TD) which is better than the quoted combined figure of

40 mpg, if I had a petrol equvilent I would be paying at least £150 more per year in fuel. I get better economy than the official combined figure but I'm not sure that I would beat the figure if I had a perol car, I've heard a lot of noise in the press that people with new petrol cars have not been able to acheive their official combined figures although a lot of that might just be down to city driving. If I did more miles than I do (I do 15k ish a year) I would save even more money with the a diesel over a petrol...

-- James

Reply to
James

James ( snipped-for-privacy@james.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Why?

It's a six year old car, but launched eight years ago - and was hardly renowned as having the latest-greatest in diesel technology when it was new

- certainly not as well-regarded an engine as your Xant's, for example.

I'd have thought it would be EXACTLY like then-new diesels ten years ago... At best.

Reply to
Adrian

Have a look at the Nissan Primera Club web site, they have a forum on that.http://www.npoc.co.uk

Trevor Smith P10 1600

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Trevor Smith ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.freenet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh. My. Gawd. I'm very scared now.

Reply to
Adrian

LOL. Walk away......don't look back. Steady....Now run very quickly.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Thank you for all the replies, best price offered on the car was £3000 (well so far). Saw a few others, one a P reg, 2.0ltr petrol with only 20,000 miles not many toys on it though but only £2,200. Private seller but the car seemed in good tidy condition inside and out. I don't think it had been started 4 a while although I could have been mistaken, still covered in snow. It started first time which was a good start :).

One other car to see tomorrow, X reg SE+ lots of toys apparently with 42,000 miles on the clock. £4,295 which seems a little low from what I see on Parkers guide. A little concerned as the trader in question only seems to accept cash, any precautions I could take to make sure it is all AOK, not nicked etc?

Or should I just get another Mondeo :)

All the best. Michael.

Reply to
Mikedmc

The diesels aren't the best but I can heartily recommend the petrol Primeras. They're entertaining to drive and very easy to live with. I've had them for the last 5 years with no major problems whatsoever. I sold my last one (old shape) to my dad. It's now done 85k, everything's original except tyres, brake pads and drive belts, and it doesn't even discolour the oil between annual changes! My current

2.0GT does 41-42 mpg on motorway runs (at constant 70 - actual figures not quoted from a book) and the old 1.6 did 48!

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

I'd certainly be a little twitchy of a trader who only accepts cash. Definately do an HPI check and consider professional inspection. Don't get too excited by all the toys - check that they work and don't make and nasty noises; Concentrate more on the test drive and the basics.

If you like the same age Mondeo as the Primera, then why not? I prefer not to suffer horrible back pains after 2 hours of driving, so I've always passed on Mondeos. ;-)

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

Ok thank you, one question as i've never done a hpi check before. How do I go about doing one? And how quick are they as I would like to drive the car away there and then? Thats 2 questions but if you answer them together maybe you won't notice :)

All the best. Michael.

Reply to
Mikedmc

Why are you asking the NG? you seem determined to buy this car come what may. It's a car, not a girlfriend. Get a grip!!! Go see some others before you commit. The price is high, the engine is old tech, It's a slapper, get a grip !!! Plenty more fish in the sea as me old mum used to tell me.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The fuel economy on that particular diesel is better than on my Xantia whilst it still gives similar performance (i.e. power / torque).

The XUD9T (the engine in the Xantia) was regarded as the best diesel engine in its class at its launch but that was some years ago (it appeared in the 405 back in 1992) and the competition has had time to catch up. The Primera engine didn't come along until 1996, is more modern and is at least a match for the Xantia's engine if not better than it in some ways.

-- James

Reply to
James

Sounds OK ... offer 'em £2k for a quick cash sale and you are sorted!

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Thank you for the reply Bruce,

I went back there today to check it out further and agreed it was a nice car, so I brought it. They fought hard but I got it for £1900 in the end. Drove it home via the M20 and A20, and have to say I was pleasantly surprised with it.

All the best. Michael.

Reply to
Mikedmc

I've had a 'P' plate Primera 2.0 GX for three years now (newer shape for that year) and I'm highly delighted with it. I normally change my car every couple of years but I'm holding on to this one a bit longer. The only downside to it is the cost of parts *if* things go wrong (rarely). Exhaust front-pipe = £216, one ABS sensor = £156 + VAT + fitting!!!!

Regardless, it's never let me down and I can out-run and out-manouvre the boy racers in their Saxo's or 306's so who cares if it's bland. :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've just got back from a trip to Birmingham (from London) and it was a delight. Seems to relish motorway cruising.

At them prices I hope the car doesn't develop any nasty faults :(. Do you have any tips to keep the car in tiptop condition or things I should look out for on the Nissan Primera's?

All the best. Michael.

Reply to
Mikedmc

Go easy on the gearbox. That's about the weakest part of the car, but should still last if looked after. The engines are tough and reliable, should be long lived if the essential oil & water changes are maintained. Chain driven camshafts so no silly rubber belts to worry about :-)

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Hi Dave,

As you have a Primera of the same age as mine I thought I would ask you this question, although anyone who has a view, the answer etc etc are more than welcome to chip in :).

I have the remote central locking keyfob that opens the car (obviously) and disables the alarm system, however when I decided to unlock the car with the key the alarm was triggered. Putting the key in the ignition and starting the car disables the alarm but shouldn't unlocking the car disable the alarm?

Im assuming unlocking the car should disable the alarm, therefore im assuming there is a fault with the locking system on the door. Does anyone have any ideas what the fault could be? How to go about fixing the fault?

Any advice appreciated.

All the best. Michael.

Reply to
Mikedmc

There is no fault - the alarm and locks are operated by the remote fob, but the key operates the locks only. Therefore, if you locked the car with the remote, you've armed the alarm. When you went back and unlocked it with the key, you haven't disarmed the alarm, so it goes off. You could have stopped it by pressing the 'unlock' button on the remote. If for any reason you want to use the key, use it for both locking and unlocking. This will bypass the alarm.

At least you know it works - nothing ever triggers the factory alarm on mine! You could probably explode a bomb under it and it wouldn't go off :-)

HTH (from one Primera owner to another)

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu