Nissan Primera Blaupunkt radio LCD fading

Hi,

I've owned a 1999 (T) Nissan Primera 2.0 since 2001. It's fitted with the original Blaupunkt radio / cassette / CD changer control. Shortly after I bought the car, I noticed that some segments on the LCD display on the radio were fading or not coming on at all; the segments would usually fade back in when you'd driven around for a bit. The problem seemed to be worse when it was cold and/or damp and over time it got worse and worse until the LCD was eventually completely blank and the display didn't even come back when the car was well warmed up.

I've been using it "blind" for a while but then a few weeks back someone in my work was advertising the exact same model of car stereo for sale second hand, so I bought it, intending to replace mine with it. Unfortunately doing a wholesale replacement didn't work as it's integrated into the car security system, so there's some level of checking going on when you start up the car with the new stereo and it refuses to work at all. So, my husband took both radios apart and replaced the LCD panel and controller on the old one with the new one. Bingo, it all worked fine for a few days.

Then last week, when I went to use the car in cold heavy rain - the same problem is back, just like it was originally: some segments faded, others not there at all, and then after driving around for a bit it was all displaying fine. This morning, in the dry, all the segments were fine.

I just don't understand what can be causing this - there are only

10 pins on the connector between the main radio and the controller, so it seems as though there must be some higher-level protocol going on which is somehow getting corrupted. But the other buttons, which presumably also have control signals going over the same connector, all work fine. Also, I know LCDs are quite sensitive to low battery, but the clock and odometer LCDs on the main dashboard are fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this or how to try fixing it?

Thanks! Vicky

Reply to
Vicky Larmour

A) replace stereo with aftermarket one. B) It sounds like condensation is a possible problem. I would - with the thing out on a chilly day, try breathing on bits, then spray the affected areas with something designed to conformal coat PCBs - 'ignition spray' may work as well.

Alternatively - a 1W resistor, connected to the power supply, next to the bit affected by the cold.

C) Complain to Nissan/Blaupunkt, the worst that can happen is they say 'go away'.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

This is most likely down to the connector that the LCD panel sits in. If you can get hubby to dismantle the unit again and clean up the connections that the panel sits in it should be fine. And yes, the units are coded to the security system. :(

Reply to
Dave

Obviously that's an option, but one I was hoping to avoid if I could!

That's an interesting idea, thanks. I'll give that one a go...

I'm not quite sure how that would help? Reducing the current through the LCD?

Good point, that hadn't occurred to me.

Cheers! Vicky

Reply to
Vicky Larmour

OK, I'll get him to have a look. Thanks!

Vicky

Reply to
Vicky Larmour

No. Basically, sidestep the whole issue, and heat it to drive off the condensation.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

On the other hand there are some nice replacements. My Primera had the same problem so I replaced it with a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB MP3 (look no cassettes!) DAB is perfect for cars and I think there are better products on the market now.

Reply to
Blue Frog