Nissan Primera - collapsed suspension???

Hi,

Wierd one, this; Just been to the pictures ("Serenity" - good film if you liked the series / SciFi), met a couple of mates there, one in a new "banger" - around 8 year old Nissan Primera (I think) - anyway, probably not *too* important about the model, or age...

He did comment about some grinding noises that he hears at low speed / cornering, and proceeded to demonstrate that the nearside front suspension bounces 2-3 times when depressed, "that's bad", he said, then compared it to the offside front - where he claimed "nice and firm".

Firm?, it was bloody rock solid.

And this is what's throwing me. The height of the suspension appears ok

- bear in mind I'm looking at this at 22:30 in a cinema carpark with a

1-cell micro maglight. Can't see anything obvious under the bonnet, and running my hand behind the wheel arch the spring appears to be intact.

Anyone have a clue what this could be?, siezed shock? (only obvious thing I can think of - but I've never heard of this). Obviously a daylight inspection would be necessary to get a better appreciation of this, but my parting words were to get it booked in absolutely ASAP.

Sound familiar to anyone?, and if so, nature of repair - DIY or mechanical garage?, approx cost? (He's a little unaware about cars, so I want to make damned certain he gets this sorted ASAP)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I've a primera GT and the suspension is really really firm, it only drops a few cm's with my weight on it, so if it is a GT i'd be looking at the side that drops a fair bit and not the firm side.

Anyway pop over to

and see if they can help atall.

Reply to
Chris

I agree. The problem is more likely with the soft side. Even the standard Primera has a firm suspension, especially the P10 (pre around Sept 1996). My 97 has got a slightly softer suspension that has a reasonably smooth ride but you can't bounce the front suspension at all by pushing down on the wing, it just budges a little with a big heave.

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks (and to Chris) - it was something of a surprise to find a car with such firm suspension. He's already booked the car in, anyway - and the nearside definately needs looking at (shock appears to have failed). The garage I recommended to him (in Preston, Lancs, if anyone wants a recommendation) will check it all out for him, anyway.

(seriously - you can't depress the suspension at all!?, new one on me)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Mike Dodd wrote in news:434694eb$0$12183$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com:

It's true. I've owned the 1.6LX and the 2.0GT. Both virtually unbounceable (is that a word? it is now :-)), the GT even more so. The back sinks a lot with weight in the boot, though; so I reckon they have stiff dampers rather than just stiff springs.

Reply to
Stu

Stu wrote in news:Xns96E8E5803ED2Anobodyhomecom@38.119.100.154:

P.S. You have/did have a Cavalier, right? I also owned a Cav before I got my first Primera, so I can appreciate how alarming the difference is. Cavaliers must be about the softest, bounciest cars *ever* :-)

Reply to
Stu

Aye!, although up'd to the Cav's bigger brother - Omega (what can I say

- they stopped making Cavs). A lot firmer, but still amazingly softer than the Primera.

Reply to
Mike Dodd