Nissan Primera Misfire

Just reread post, seems i'm rambling a little, so basically:-

Car-Nissan primera '98 GT Fault- Intermittant Misfire When- whenever doesnt seem temp/'dampness' related, But past 4k with foot down seems to clear. Done so far- new plugs/leads dissy cap/rotor arm

I have a '98 nissan primera GT, which has one of those anoying misfire's. Sometimes i 'feel' it's temp/dampness related, then the next cold/damp morning its fine!! I'm fairly certain its electricly related as its so intermittant. Normally the misfire is at lower revs in a higher gear and once you get past 4K rpm with you're foot down it 'seems' to clear.

It started to happen a while ago, probably a year, instantly i thought on plugs so took them out and cleaned/ regapped. The problem seemed to disapear, then a fair few weeks later it reapeared, so i thought ok the plugs must be on their last legs change them, so i did, and again for a few weeks all seemed well, then again the misfire. OK its not the plugs i thought, but MUST be something else i'm doing when i change/clean the plugs, play with the HT leads!!!!, it must be those thats causing me the probs, so i changed them, and 5 miles from halfords the misfires back!! So i took the dissy cap/rotor arm off and cleaned them, same as teh plugs several weeks and no misfire, once the misfire came back i thought it must be those, so off to halfords again to get them ( mitsubishi dissy etc) , and after two 40 mile round trips to order them/get them and finding out they have the wrong part on their computer i end up at the dealer to get new parts teh bloody car still misfires!!!! So now i'm at a loss really what could be causing the misfire, and how do i work out what it is??

Oh whilst we're here the car has a knackered 5th gear, goes in fine but as soon as you put 'any' power on it'll pop out. I've been quoted £600 for my box to be fixed, does this sound about right?, or should i shop elsewhere? and while the box is out how much extra should i be looking for a new clutch?

Reply to
Chris

The easiest way to prove if it's an HT problem (coil/plugs/leads/diz) is to cut the plug gaps right down to 2/3 normal. If the problems go away or change a lot for the better it's definitely HT.

Reply to
SteveB

I'm interested in the 5th gear problem-how many miles has the car done? I saw a review of that year Primera and it did state 'gearbox will not stand abuse'--so I guess that's what happens. I have a SLX

The misfire sound horrendous but I'd guess it's time to let a good back street garage take a look. Can't be doing your (or the car's!) health much good.....

Reply to
David Wood

Its done about 50k miles which is obvioulsy a little low, i;ve read a few usa forums and it seems they had a problem with 5th gear, to the point a lot looked at getting a class action/suit against nissan. Although a lot of these were covered under warrenty.

( nissan primera = usa infinityG20 )

The gearbox's only hassles were the missis borrowing it for a cpl of days and 'having problems getting it into 5th' a few months before it failed. I'll never know if this was completely to blame or if there's soem underlying problem. Although i chatted to the gearbox guy down the road and he was saying they had a renault traffic in the same week as mine failed with the same 5th gear problem at 40K miles, as he said bad for the customer but good for his buisness.

So far as the misfire goes i'm loathed to take it to a back street garage who'll maybe just change the most obvious parts 1st untill he hits the nail on the head and then charge me for all the parts he's changed, i've been down that road before and I can change parts one at a time myself. I'm also loathed to take it to a dealer with no ecu light on as i've seen them do the same as the back street garage but at dealer prices!!!! What i could do with is checks etc i can do myself to prove/disprove parts, or even try to make sure it is in fact electrical and not mechanical problems i'm having.

Reply to
Chris