No AC

The AC seems to have stopped working on my 2008 Mini. The climate control goes through the motions (ramping up the fan, closing/opening vents), but the air coming out is warm, about the same as the outside air temperature.

Might this just be recharging? Any diagnostic ideas?

Reply to
RJH

Take it to Kwik Fit and get them to do a drain down and re-gas.

I wouldn't usually recommend them, but they offer a guarantee of lower vent temperatures, or they won't charge you. So nothing to lose - and you'll find out if it's something more serious or not.

Reply to
SteveH

What measuring technique do they use to assess vent temperatures? I can see all sorts of ways in which the technique could be manipulated to achieve a desired result.

Reply to
polygonum

You may want to remove that foil hat.

Reply to
SteveH

What measuring technique do they use to assess vent temperatures? I can see all sorts of ways in which the technique could be manipulated to achieve a desired result.

I suspect they would use a thermometer inside the car. That's a thing that measures temperature.

I would further suspect they use another thermometer outside the car. That's a thing that also measures temperature.

Then I suspect they might subtract the internal temperature reading from the external one, to determine how much of a difference the AC has made.

What sort of skulduggery are you hoping exists here?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Not hoping, only wishing to have thought about and identified. I can't imagine that Kwikfit won't already have done so.

Issues like: Rate of air flow. How many vents are open fully. Whether it is based literally on "lower vent temperatures" or enhanced temperature difference. Precise thermometer positioning (e.g. slightly out of main airflow for the "before" and dead centre for "after").

Reply to
polygonum

:-) Kwikfit did my Mondeo, and not only did the vent temperature drop, but the mpg dropped. Proof positive.

Reply to
Gordon H

I think it was on here a few years ago that someone had taken their car to KwakFut under this offer and was left with a severely overgassed system in an attempt to get it X degrees colder. Bizarre creaks and groans were the symptoms (if anyone wants to try and find it.)

I think that counts as manipulating results so someone pass Steve the bakofoil, please :-)

Reply to
Scott M

Given the machine's completely automatic that would have been tricky to achieve

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Surely an automatic service machine just means that you need a more inept than usual operator to get it wrong.

Reply to
Davey

There is something on their web page:

Reply to
RJH

Yes but you're suggesting they do it deliberately

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They tried and failed - so no charge. I think they were working on it for some hours, so wasn't (I suspect) for want of trying.

I'll take it my favoured independent, but I'm off on a Scotland visit, so won't be for a fair few miles.

Reply to
RJH

At least you know there's something more serious needed, without it costing you anything.

Reply to
SteveH

How much would it have been if they had succeeded? (I couldn't see a price on their site.)

Good that they tried. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

£50. I also had them look at a slow puncture - couldn't fix that either. Too near the sidewall, and no comparable replacement in stock or available (I did specify same make - they don't do Avon). So not a good day for either of us!
Reply to
RJH

So we are assuming an electrical fault, or the compressor has grenade-ed..!

Some later climate systems do lock out on low/high pressure and require a FCR session to clear codes having repaired the issue.

tim.

Reply to
Tim

On 27/06/2014 13:59, Tim

In the end it was a 'pump' and some pipe that fell apart during dismantling.

I sort of had to take it Halfords(1) in the end, as that's where the 3rd party warranty (2) works with relative ease. So I'm not sure what they did exactly - the invoice just lists pump and pipe. The net cost to me was £170. The gross cost was £260 for the pump, £60 for the pipe and £50 for the AC service.

(1) I quite like my local Halfords for simple bolt on type repairs, MOTs etc. The issue with a non-warranty approved garage is that they introduce a burden of proof on the claim - at least they did a while ago with a DM flywheel. They wanted proof that the flywheel was at fault, which was of course impossible without dismantling. I wouldn't have that hassle at a WD garage. I realise of course my opinion is not widely shared on the NG!

(2) Warrant Direct - costs about £350pa, with a £50 excess and a required 20% contribution. Car is 6 years old, 65k miles.

Reply to
RJH