No high beam on chevrolet cavalier?

Hi there.

Struggling here and could really do with some help please.

Got a 1999 chevrolet cavalier, (in Canada) and I lost the use of the high beam. Really strange as the main drive lights work and the regular lights but when I go to use the high beam, all the headlights go out !! Driving at night...... nudge the lever towards me for hi beam and everything goes dark at the front.

I just attacked it with a multimeter and the highbeam bulbs are ok.

Got myself stumped here :-(

Could anyone please let me know what they think would be causing it?

Thankyou

Andrew

Reply to
andrew123

The switch or the relay, or even the fuse. However you'd probably get a more knowledgeable answer on rec.autos.tech, they're more likely to have seen a North American car

Reply to
Duncanwood

Thanks for your reply.

Will check out the switch, relay and the fuse. If I'm still stumped, I'll try the other group you mentioned.

Cheers

Reply to
andrew123

check if the headlamp flash option is working if so suspect the column switch it was a problem on some older Vauxhall Cavaliers caused by the contacts oxidising over time not really a repairable switch as it has a number of small springs which migrate when you open the casing cheap replacement tho Derek

Reply to
Derek

Derek ( snipped-for-privacy@cwcom.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do you think it's likely that the same light switch will be shared between an aging Euro heap of crap and a relatively modern 'merkin heap of crap, purely because they happen to share a badge?

Reply to
Adrian

Yes. :)

Irrelevant really, it's worth investigation...

Reply to
DervMan

As mentioned try the switch or the relay. On some cars the dipped beam goes out when the high beam goes on, so it could be just the high beam relay. Check in the fuse box or up under the dash on the drivers side. The high beam switch is probably on the steering column and controlled by a metal rod from the lever.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Do the headlights go out when the ignition is switched off? If so they're likely to be relay operated. So my first shot would be to check that relay and fuse.

As others have said a dirty or burnt out dip switch could have the same effect. It's just a case of patient fault tracing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)