no nothing about cars - question

hi ppl

i'm sorry if this is a dunces question

my car has aquired a problem in that it kind of jutters and has acceleration problems - seeming to get a spurt of energy even when i am not depressing the acclerator.

the cars a nissan primera by the way - K reg

i noticed that their is smoke coming out of the back of the radiator but the car temp indicator is pretty normal and the coolant tank is ful

i also saw that the fan was not turning - is this supposed to turn all the time?

and finally there seems to be some liquid below the radiator - looks like water - may be coolant

any help suggestions and fixing cost approximates

thanks

diablo

Is it an automatic per chance ???

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

You say there's smoke. Do you mean smoke or do you mean steam? It's possible there's a water (coolant) leak and water is being blown onto the electrics causing a misfire. Although you say the coolant tank is full, there may be an airlock which keeps the level apparently full but actually you're short of water (coolant, if you like). If there's water accumulating below the radiator it indicates a leak. It needs investigating.

Then fan (I'm not particularly familiar with your car) probably only turns when the temperature gets up. I assume you can spin it by hand when the engine's stationary?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Hi

I will check t see if its steam or smoke.

one of the other symtoms is tha it feels like its going to stall every few minutes when i am driving (for example when i hit around 40 in 4th it feels like it is going to stall and so i have apply the accelerator, it does the same at other speeds i am just citing 40 as an example - would a coolant leak explain that also? or a misfire?

i left the engine running for about ten minutes then stopped and could hear a bubbling noise (for about a minute after - sounded like water - i thinl it was in the radiator

yes the fan spins freely

thanks

diablo

Hi

No it is manual

Reply to
diablo

Well, I'm clutching at straws a bit, trying to link a coolant leak with a misfire and suggesting that it may be water getting onto the electrics. But misfiring can be down to any number of things and would not normally be caused by a coolant leak.

I think this needs sorting first and then see how you get on with your misfiring.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

Head Gasket???

Maybe

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Hi Chaps

thanks for your help.

It was the carborreta - apparently i let the car run on low petrol (which i did) and it sucked up some gunk.

new filter - clean out and a set of sparks for good measure £35 inc labour

about the head gasket - i have had one of them blow in my time, and the symptoms seemed the same - stalling/acceleration- so good guess.

thanks again

acceleration

Reply to
diablo