No Spare Wheel

I don't know where I've been hiding, but two friends who have bought new cars in the last few weeks/months tell me that they are no longer supplied with spare wheels, but you get an aerosol of gunge if you get a puncture. Doesn't work if you rip a tyre, I shouldn't think.

How long has this been the case?

Reply to
Gordon H

Depends on the car, the new Mini's have always had it as an option.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The Focus hasn't had a spare at least since the MkII Facelift - none of our Econetics on the fleet have one.

Reply to
SteveH

Not exactly one of the "enhancements" they tell you about when you're kicking tyres in the showroom, is it?

If I persuaded myself to buy a new car I would consider buying an extra full spec wheel. Would this be stupid? (Any more stupid than buying a new car, I mean)... ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Would you get that spare wheel into the boot?

I bought I Kia Ceed with one of those piddling 'space saver' spare wheels that's housed in the boot, and I thought about replacing that with a 'proper' spare - until I found out that the 'proper' one wouldn't fit without permanently removing the false boot floor that covered it (the wheel was far too wide and stuck up into the boot itself).

Reply to
Ormolu

I've had my BMW for 12 years now - some 100,000 miles - bought at two years old. The spare is unused. ;-) Probably perished. I'd guess the cost of that invested would have paid for a breakdown service if needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When did you last do that?

Since they started giving free breakdown recovery with new and some used cars.

Ford

Every new Ford car and commercial vehicle comes with a year?s free Ford Assistance All Ford Direct used cars receive two years? Ford Assistance All Ford Direct used commercial vehicle receive a minimum of 18 months? Ford Assistance*

but not for Mobility contract hire.

Citroen

First year free, £65 for year 2 and 3.

Vauxhall - use AA.

All new Vauxhalls are automatically covered for the duration of your standard first-year warranty period, starting from your vehicle?s original registration date.

If they do it then pretty much everyone must, I'll let you go look for the ones that don't.

But it may not actually cover the tyre. But I'm sure they will sign up up for full cover right there (with a no wait premium). While Vauxhall Assistance aims to bring you peace-of-mind motoring, it only covers manufacturer-based or mechanical faults on your vehicle. Citroen also have manufacturer defect.

Reply to
Peter Hill

For cars where the roof folds into the boot, there's next to no space left with the roof down, so doing away with the spare makes good sense.

Reply to
GB

same problem with my 2000 Focus, silly space saver cannot be replaced with a real spare wheel (which I managed to get off freecycle) without either losing a flat boot area or adding something over the whole of the boot area which would lose even more space. Usually the wheel well is full depth and has a foam packing piece on top of the space saver to keep the boot floor flat.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

about twenty years ago it started with Mercedes (first ones I knew of)

It must be a pain to lose a tyre in the middle of the night and have to wait while a mobile tyre service is found/get recovered etc. Compared to the speed of putting a spare on.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Point taken, and I have a breakdown service, but even at 78 years old I would like to have a spare to fit when the AA quote "One hour". :)

Reply to
Gordon H

In message , GB writes

I tried that with the Mondeo and the rear window broke, apart from all the crumpled metal.

Reply to
Gordon H

A large percentage of drivers ain't capable of changing a wheel these days. Sad but true.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My thoughts too. A year or two ago I hit a "traffic calming" kerb in a dimly lit dodgy area of Manchester at around midnight, and the tyre blew out, fortunately only a mile or so from home. My alternatives were to change the wheel myself and risk being mugged, or lock myself in the car and wait for the AA.

I drove home and trashed the tyre.

Reply to
Gordon H

The tyre was likely trashed anyway if it blew after hitting a kerb.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. Last time I needed them was when a fan belt broke. In central London at about midnight. After waiting 'till 02:30 for them - they said they couldn't find me, car stopped with the bonnet open on a main road, I risked driving home on the basis that while moving at about 30mph, the fan would turn the waterpump enough to prevent damage. And so it proved. Wouldn't have done that in normal traffic, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So the aerosol can of filth wouldn't have helped me out. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Why do you call them silly? Considering how rarely one has punctures these days (assuming that one doesn't run around on bald tyres), a "get you home wheel/tyre" seems eminently sensible. It's a simple way if reducing excess weight in a car.

My Old Touran (7 seater) only had a pump and sealant bottle (which I never needed in 120,000 miles of motoring) but I was never very comfortable with the lack of a spare. My Cee'd has a space saver which seems a good compromise.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

a bit annoying when away from home, on holiday or working away for instance, you are then stuck at travelling below 50 with impaired braking and roadholding and be forced to buy whatever tyre is available at whatever price.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Yep, it's horrible if it's a front puncture. Unless I only had a very short distance to travel, I would put the spacesaver on the rear.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan