Noisy Diesel

Yes all diesels are pretty noisy!!!!!! but wondering if anyone can help me out on this one. Have had my 1993 2.3TD frontera estate now for about 7 years!!!!! Even when I first had it when the engine when hot and at tickover there is a loud heavy tapping noise as if it were a noisy tappet (could be? although when adjusted there is no difference). If I switch the engine off and leave a minute and restart the noise disapears. The noise is only there when the engine is hot - no noise when cold. Doesn't seem to have got worst over the years (bought it with 27k on the clock now 130k). Not overly concerned but if it were an easy/resonable fix I would like to get rid of the noise - and could well decide to hang on to it for longer. Anyone any idea?? Steve

Reply to
Steve Livesley

Get the oil pressure checked. It's always higher when cold. Could be the bottom end is going to need some new bearings soon.

Reply to
Conor Turton

I would've thought that they'd have spun long before now if they were doing that 100,000 miles ago.

Reply to
Chewie