Noisy Diesel

Hi, I've just inherited the wife's Skoda Felicia Estate off her, 1998 1.9 diesel (non-turbo), VW engine, Haynes manual reckons the engine type number is AEF. I always knew it could be a bit noisy but she never moaned about it so I ignored it, reliability was fine and mpg seemed OK (45mpg) and no MoT emission problems or anything.

Well I drove it for a 200 mile fast motorway round trip the other night and BLOODY HELL, my head was ringing afterwards like I'd spent all day in a foundry. Bloody, bloody noisy.

However, it doesn't do it all the time. Mostly it's just like your average diesel of that era. But if you put a fair amount of right-hand pedal down (and occasionally when you're not, just out of the blue), the engine will suddenly start hammering away like a bastard as if you've only just started it up on a cold winter morning. It doesn't start making the noise gradually - it suddenly switches from being OK to sounding like an end-of-life Ukranian tractor. Almost as if some valve somewhere has opened or the timing's changed slightly or something - a very definite step change in behaviour. No particular sign of any smoking when it's doing it.

Any suggestions? Is this a know problem with these engines, are they known to just be bloody noisy? Not what you'd expect from a VAG group engine that they put into the Polo of that era really, you would have thought. It's been regularly serviced, glowplugs are newish (shouldn't matter, obviously), only done 85k miles. Only other thing I can think of is that with a previous owner it was put into a garage for the engine 'surging' (?) and a sensor was changed, can't remember the details and too idle to go dig the paperwork out.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Speculation, but faulty hydraulic lifter, or an intermittent oil blockage in one? Try an oil change (perhaps oil brand or grade change) and new oil filter?

John

Reply to
John Henderson

dodgy injectors can make a horrible noise, as can incorrect timing or some sort of auto advance that fails.

If the injectors are over 100k then they should be reconned anyway

Reply to
mrcheerful

A long shot- could the cold start timing advance be kicking in when it shouldnt somehow? Not sure on the exact pump on this, but if it is a similar Bosch / Rotodiesel as fitted to Fords and XUD's in the 90's that would be certainly possible.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

two words...

EAR PLUGS..

turns a POS into a BMW..

Si

Reply to
mr p

mr p ( snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They're *that* useless...?

Reply to
Adrian

LOL, I tell you, if I can't sort this I'll be bloody well using them the next long journey I take, I shit you not.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Still no further along with this, however, after some experimentation I am

99% sure that the hammering from the engine (which sounds an awful lot like pre-ignition)

a) kicks in at a certain revs, e.g. almost dead on 40mph speedo reading in

4th gear (maybe someone who could easily locate the gear ratios on this model could say what engine rpm that is, it might help to diagnose it?)

b) once it has kicked in, is more audible the more you have the accelerator down

Normally it's not a big deal because it kicks in at about the point you'd be looking to change up gears anyway. However this is very little consolation when trying to cruise at motorway speed in top gear with the engine hammering away like a bastard and no more gears to change up to. :-(

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

...and like I said before, the hammering starts up as a definite step change in the behaviour of the engine, as if some definite event has happened in the engine as a result of hitting whatever this rpm is - timing change, some valve opening, who knows.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

My Citroen HDi diesel developed a horrible top end knocking sound above certain revs that sounded very expensive. Turned out to be the crankshaft pully which is a two part construction with a damper built in. The damper was shot causing the knocking.

You never know, could be something similar.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Soft enghine mount for instance. Does it do it in neutraL?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes. Doesn't sound like the engine rattling about.

Reply to
Vim Fuego