Noisy front right wheel.

Hi all, I'm after some advice... I have a W-plate fiesta and has recently started to make strange noises when cornering. When I turn hard left, the front right wheel produces a kind of drone/whine. This also happens when going in a straight line at about 50mph, but is silent at slower/faster speeds.

I wonder if this may be a sign that a wheel bearing needs replacing? Does this sound familiar to anyone, and if so is this likely to be an expensive job to have done?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Radioface

Ah, I've just searched this group for some similar topics and the symptoms do seem to match those of a wheel bearing problem. And it sounds like I should try to find the money asap no matter how expensive it may be!

Radioface.

Reply to
Radioface

Radioface ( snipped-for-privacy@iee.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Definitely.

Reply to
Adrian

It's almost certainly a wheel bearing, but it can be difficult to determine whether it's a front or rear one. Even my main dealer got it wrong once, although they didn't charge for the second one.

As you are asking is it expensive to have done, I'm guessing you are not in a position to DIY, so I would suggest finding a reliable independent garage, tell them the symptoms and let them decide whether it's front or rear.

My best guess on price would be less than 100UKP for a rear, a bit more for a front.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If it happening on cornering,it's the front.

Change all four anyway.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Sorry to disagree Paul, but the loads on a rear wheel bearing increase when cornering just as they do on the front. I've *never* had a failing rear wheel bearing that didn't get noisier when cornering.

IME, rears fail more frequently than fronts, particularly with Fiestas and Escorts.

And spent four times more than is necessary for no reason? Why?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Because the cost of a bearing is pennies i the grand scheme of things...?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

I had a Corsa straight from the factory that had a droning rear wheel bearing - inaudible on the straight, horrid on corners.

Reply to
Guy King

The cost of *replacing* all four of them for a non-DIYer would add up to a considerable amount of pennies however. Perhaps one of the valued trade contributors to this NG would give us as estimate?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Radioface was thinking very hard :

It most likely is a wheel bearing, by the description, but failing CV joints can also become noisy and usually show up on a sharp left or right hand turn - depending upon the failing side.

If you can hear it on a corner, find somewhere to drive around in circles with someone stood in the middle to listen for the source of the noise.

Jacking that corner up and turning the wheel by hand might also confirm it, plus try waggling the wheel top and bottom - it should not move.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Stangely enough, one of my vehicles has had a noisy rear wheel bearing (I think) for years. I keep meaning to getting around to changing it, but somehow never do. But it's passed numerous MOTs, I can't feel any play, and it drives perfectly!

Your post has reminded me that I should take a look ... :-)

Al.

Reply to
Al