Noisy injector?

Hi,

I've got a loud (audible while driving with the radio off) ticking noise coming from the engine of my V6 cavalier. It sounds like an injector, only louder... I used to get the noise for a few seconds after starting from cold, but now it seems to come and go as it pleases. The frequency of the tick is proportional to engine speed.

Could it be an injector? If so, is it anything to worry about? If not, what else could it be (hydraulic valve lifters have been suggested, but I don't know if I have those!).

Car's a 1995 (M) and done just under 140,000 miles.

Thanks in advance,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

it could be the exhaust manifold blowing in one of the corners, Vauxhalls are notorious for the corner studs to break away from the head allowing the exhausts gasses to escape & giving the same noise as your describing.

Reply to
reg

Why injector, particularly? I would have thought it was far more likely to be a tappet (valve lifter), hydraulic or non-hydraulic. Can you isolate where the noise is coming from by using a stethoscope?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I'll check that...thanks!

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

It sounds like the noise the injectors on my Sri130 made...that's all.... It's very hard to pinpoint, but it sounds like it's coming from somewhere close to the injectors on the rear half of the engine.

I fashioned a stethoscope out of a length of garden hose, but by that time the noise had stopped. I'll try again tomorrow...

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren