Noisy Omega 3.0V6 tappets

Hi,

I have '99 Omega 3.0V6 which runs like a dream, but suffers from what sounds like noisy tappets when cold, or after standing for more than 10 mins even when hot. After a couple of miles it's fine. I'm convinced it's tappet noise, which may be the tappets themselves, but may be oilways slightly dirty, restricting the oil passge to charge the tappets at startup. Either way, it's gummed up.

Fresh 0W/40 and filter (preceeded by the usual Wynns/Carplan "engine flush" just to dilute it a bit) didn't help, so I'm looking for a better flush treatment before giving in and stripping the lump down.

I have read various accounts of a couple of litres of diesel (yes - diesel!) in with the oil (having been drained a bit) and left running for 30 mins at a tickover, produces good results. Follow this with a drain, and repeat with some cheap oil and another litre of diesel, followed by drain/ filter and fresh oil.

The only risk I can really think of is potential wear to the bearings with this rather thin lubrication, but given this would only be at tickover, and I plan on getting rid afterwards anyway, I'm not bothered about long term reliability! I guess it would be a good idea to leave the oil filler cap off, or stuffed with cloth, to avoid crackcase pressure (and detenation of diesel!!).

Has anyone ever tried this? Would YOU risk it!!

Rich

Reply to
Richard White

Firstly you are usuing a proper GM filter arent you? The oil should really be runnning back to the sump within 10mins of shutting off!

Secondly what's the mileage on the car, and what is its past history regarding frequency of oil changes?

Diesel can be used, after all a diesel engine gets some diesel contamination of its lube oil in normal running.

ATF is a far better solvent than diesel, i'd use that, however it sounds more terminal or that there is significant wear in the top end.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Not surprised..it's supposed to use 15W/40. 0W/40 is going to be a bit thin.

Reply to
Conor

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:dfuq60$cb6$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

I don think it's that terminal - just noisy on one tappet (or two). In reply to earlier reply - yes - I know 10W40 is preferred on these, but I should have mentioned that I did use 10W40 normally, and swithed to 0W40 to try a thinner mix to get to try and get the oil through. The mileage is 85K, with a good SH, so I cannot explain why it's bad at this "low" mileage.

I recon I'm going to try this diesel trick anyway, and X fingers,

Rich

Reply to
Richard White