Not excatly maintenance - but

As the school hols approach my petrol head son (14) needs to drool over some cars. He is a typical lad who finds Mr Clarkson amusing and can tell me to get behind the car 6 in front as it is a "insert something that is apparently cooool". I, you may realise am not a huge car person other than advising that the Ford Mondeo I have had for 8 years is a bloody good car that has needed very little doing on it and it has got us to Italy and back a good few times.

Last year we did Bealieu Motor Museum (quite good actaully - agreed by whole family !) I took him up to the "expo" at Canary wharf a few weeks back but hat was a bit of a damp squib (apparently). He wants to get up close and personal and I can't say that I really want to do huge motor shows.

So, we have the ability to go pretty much anywhere in the UK by rail or drive within say a hundred miles of the M25 (we are in Sarf London).

Any suggestions as to where to go / what to do ? I have a very open mind so all suggestions / pointers to reviews etc etc greatly received.

Thanks

Fat Richard

Reply to
Fat richard

In message , Fat richard writes

My 14 y/o grandson has just gone back to California, and in the three weeks they were here we never got around to what I wanted to do - Karting. If he is set on drooling I dunno, we did Beaulieu when my lad was about that age. Grandson is a laser-fight freak, less messy than paintball.

Reply to
Gordon H

If you liked Beaulieu, you'll probably like -

(I haven't been there yet)

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

If he's into American/Modded cars why not take him to the Chelsea cruise?

Last sat of the month, people start turning up from about 7.30 (pm), parking on the south side of Chelsea bridge and in the park just before the bridge (Battersea park?), go's on until about 10/10.30

this will give you an idea of some of the cars

although I must admit that I've never seen that many cars there, but it is a good night out.

james

Reply to
jamesd1974

Why not go to one of the many drag race events on at Santa Pod?

Reply to
Conor

I used to live down that way 10 years ago and never went (as i said i am not a petrol head !)

Any idea if the "Ultimate Street Car" event is worth a look ? I am free on the Sunday of the event and it does look like a laugh, but I suspect I will have to avoid the "Hot & Sexy" section if I take the missus !

Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Fat richard

Brooklands.

It will give him a new perspective on what is cool too. Some of the old racers (especially the ones with huge aero engines in them) are just unbelieveable. JB

Reply to
JB

Thus spake shazzbat ( snipped-for-privacy@spamlessness.fsnet.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

I went to the Haynes museum about a year ago. Very good place, but as I haven't been to Beaulieu I cannot make any comparisons. Nice collection of vehicles, but when I asked one of the friendly attendants if I could have a look under the bonnet of one of the vehicles he told me (with much regret) that some ridiculous health & safety regulation forbade him from opening the bonnet. Bloody killjoy H&S!!!

Reply to
A.Clews

As long as its not raining, its definitely worth a look. You can wander round the pit area and talk to the crews as well for no extra charge. Santa Pod is either cold and wet or sunny and boiling hot so dress appropriately.

Reply to
Conor

Motor Heritage Centre might be worth a go: there's lots of old British cars, and some modern Astons.

Very close to the M40.

Chris Bartram

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk saying something like:

I'll be there isn't.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Probably isn't an engine in it...

Reply to
Gordon H

I was rather disappointed by the number of replicas there. But worth a visit if in the area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about the Brooklands Museum at Weybridge ?

Reply to
Jeff