Number plate cameras and SORN

> > All the cameras on the M25 are going to light up like xmas trees > when they see a SORN'd vehicle trundling along ;-) > >

Do these Motorway cameras really link up to a SORN database?

A friend of a friend claims he sometimes drives his un-SORNed car and provided he drives carefully he says he's never has a problem.

I forget what many percent of cars are uninsured and unMOTed but I vaguely recall it is a really surprising percentage. These people don't seem to have got stopped and sorted out despite all the number-plate cameras. What's going wrong with the system?

Reply to
David

I always wondered about those motorway ANPR camera like if you don't have the appropriate paperworl for you vehicle, it flags you and then what ? next junction comes up police flash you down ?

Reply to
James

only get action against you if they can trace the vehicle back , most cars that are not taxed , moted or insured are usally not registered to anyone so the police have difficulty taking any action

Reply to
steve robinson

Interesting point. Around one M25 junction, the police sometimes put an ANPR wagon on a nearby stretch of dual carriageway and have a couple of cars/bikes waiting to chase 'offenders' and pull them in. Are they linked to the M25 cams, or is it just a speculative exercise? It's not a very busy bit of dual carriageway, so the wagon would be more 'effective' elsewhere I would have thought. And why do they need it if they've already identified the offender?

Al.

Reply to
Al

Motorway cameras don't, AFAIK However the DVLA have their own cameras and vans that they like to park in Lay-bys/on flyovers, that are for the sole purpose of finding SORN'd vehicles.

Reply to
moray

The fact that it is, as you put it, un-SORNed, leads me to believe that it is therefore unlicensed as well. I have a couple of un-SORNed cars, but they each have a licence.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Hence why the police are often waiting near the mobile ANPR vans to stop any one that is flagged up...

Reply to
David Taylor

How can a car not be registered?

Do you mean it is sold on and the new buyer doesn't submit any of the V5/loggbook paperwork?

Reply to
David

Sorry for being a bit thick but what do you mean by "licensed"?

Do you mean the number plates (license plates) are fake?

Reply to
David

That's about how it works. Which is why you should always ensure it is filled in and that you send your section off yourself when you sell a car. The last time I didn't do that, we had a visit from Plod a few weeks later - the car had been used in a bank job!

It makes a mockery of the "we know where to find you" car tax ads. The hard core that doesn't care, doesn't pay, doesn't register the car so it's difficult to trace them. Of course they don't bother with insurance either. Just pray you don't get hit by one.

Reply to
asahartz

No, I mean the road fund licence, or 'disc' as it's called. I can't see why you would comment on your friend who drives an unSORNed car. Everyone who has paid their road fund licence will be driving unSORNed cars. Therefore, I'm assuming that if his case is fit to comment on, it's because he has neither SORNed it or licenced (disc) it for the year.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

Of course they don't bother with insurance

What I can't understand is why the law does not compress your car without further ado if you are caught without licence and insurance (OK, after a suitable court case where you can plead your case).

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham