Number plate fell off

1995 K11 Nissan Micra. Front number plate has fallen off/been ripped off by vandals. Are they stuck on with glue. There is no tackiness on the back of the plate or on the car number plate area.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Yes, I've seen many new cars where the plates are stuck on with glue. Looks neat and tidy, but plates easily drop off as soon as the car leaves the showroom. It may be that it is difficult to find solid material to screw into if the bumpers are filled with foam. I use some long screws and dip those in glue before fastening.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Don't know about how its fixed, but it's probably a good idea to report the number plate as stolen to the police - with the restrictions on the supply of number plates, the only way to get "false" number plates is to rob legit ones from parked cars.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

Not Glue...... special 2 sided foam pads are used

Reply to
JK

I used Evode Impact Adhesive!.... and neither have fallen off yet!

Reply to
Tom Burton

Yes, now I remember. But these are useless IMO.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

This country should do as many European counties do, require the registration plates to be (pop) riveted on - they seem to stay on then...

Reply to
Jerry.

Yes, 'sticky fixers' or similar, not that special at all. When I bought a new car in France for import, the transit plates were well riveted on, despite the fact they were only to be used for one journey. They were nice pressed metal plates, too - far better than the hopeless plastic junk we pay through the nose for here.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Are you sure that the car didn't fall off the number plate? :-)

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Report the plate nicked or you might start getting speed camera / congestion charge tickets in the post...

Also, I used double sided tape (I think it was for carpets) - that stuff was so strong it almost pulled the fingerprints off my fingers!

Reply to
fishman

So when some scrote nicks your plate, they take away part of the bumper with it?

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

Usually either screws or double sided adhesive foam pads.

Reply to
Conor

No, they will either just snap part of the plate off, bend it - if they were able to do anything with it at all. As I said, plate in Spain (certainly) don't seem to go missing for what ever reason.

Reply to
Jerry.

More commonly double sided sticky backed pads - and these have a decent life if the surfaces are properly clean before attaching. On a new car that might mean removing protective wax first.

Lots of other things are 'glued' on - like badges etc - and these don't come off easily. At least there's more chance of the plates being 'square' if they're stuck on - the tea boy who fits them at the dealers can't usually drill straight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman