Number Plates.

There was a thread here recently about number plates - it's now disappeared from my screen. The subject of number plates has now come up on uk.legal and someone there has pointed to: "The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001" which sets out letter size, font, spacing - everything. It may be of interest to some people here. It's at:

DB.

Today I went to buy a replacement plate for my car. Behind the counter they had a computer set aside just for dealing with number plates together with a printer specifically designed for that job, and the plate was printed whilst I watched. I wondered whether these printers, with their software drivers, were supplied (leased, perhaps) by the DVLA. On arriving home I found that they can be bought on eBay. So despite all the "proof of identity" (vehicle and owner) palaver it seems you can still make your own if you are prepared to invest 995 quid - not a lot if your business is nicking cars. Does anyone who buys one of these printers with its software have to register with DVLA before plates may be legally made and sold? Does Swansea have to be told every time a plate is made?

Reply to
DB.

I think you can make number plates quite a bit easier than with a actual printer, have look here

Martin

Reply to
Martin Warby

I think you can make number plates quite a bit easier than with a actual printer, have look here

Martin

Thanks, Martin. Since I last posted I've turned up this (below). Yes, suppliers must register with DVLA. - even to purchase materials. The DVLA have announced that from 1st November 2008 it will become an offence to supply number plates that do not comply with the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001. There is a maximum penalty of £2,500 and/or suspension from the RNPS register for up to 5 years. This offence will apply throughout the United Kingdom.

In order to comply with the British Standard each number plate must be marked with the British Standard number and the name or identification of the component suppler in the bottom right hand corner. The name and postcode of the supplying outlet must also be displayed in the bottom centre. Please note that website addresses, phone numbers and logos are not allowed.

It will be an offence to supply a non-compliant number plate that displays a vehicle registration mark (VRM) issued by the DVLA. It will no longer be allowed to sell products as 'Showplates' or to ask the customer to sign a disclaimer that the plate is not for road use if the plate displays a VRM.

The Register of Number Plate Suppliers (RNPS) system is being extended to include Scotland & Northern Ireland. All number plate suppliers must register with the DVLA and obtain an RNPS number to be able to purchase materials and supply plates.

Source:

DB.