Number Plates

I need to replace mine - what's all this with 'legal styled' and 'legal':

Any recommendations?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
RJH

Huge

Someone stole mine a few years ago. Yes, I was more than a little miffed. I was surprised that I couldn't just go to the local motor factors and get some made up like you could in the good ole days. In the end I got some for a couple of quid off someone on ebay. Probably illegal, but ultimately, they're just number plates, and they work :-)

Not recommending it if you want to be completely above board and all that, though.

Reply to
gogmagog

In order to supply legal plates you have to produce proof of ownership, log book and the like. If you buy 'show plates' you do not have to provide this proof. Hence you can order on line and get them delivered for the next day. Now the point is these show plates are exactly the same plates as supplied as legal ones, with the same quality and suppliers markings, made on the same jig. Hence legal. Go to ebay many suppliers and cheaper than your link. RD

Reply to
RD

on 03/09/2012, RD supposed :

I agree, the law is a truly ridiculous one.

The only ones it catches out and costs is the honest people.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Bought and fitted, from ebay - £11 pair including P&P, screws/caps/sticky pads. Seems good to me, and I'd be surprised if they don't outlive the plates fitted by BMW/Mini dealers - which lasted all of 4 years.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

do they have all the requisite marks and use the right font etc.? IIRC there are 8 areas that have to be correct for a legal, mot-able number plate.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

RJH expressed precisely :

Well done! It is a law which only makes it difficult, time consuming and expensive for the law abiding to obtain legitimate replacement plates.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
[...]

There are certainly plenty of suppliers on eBay who claim their plates are legal WRT their appearance.

It seems unlikely that they will have complied with the law in regard to their supply however:

and they may not be registered suppliers.

It's how I would buy any I needed though!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It has certainly reduced the number of plates that I fit, in days of yore I would replace damaged plates as part of a service, nowadays only an mot failure will cause me to go to the trouble of getting new plates and that hasn't actually happened since the plate rules came in. My tester takes the attitude that if the plates are the right colour, complete and readable they pass.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not sure, these are they:

They /say/ they are 'legal'.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

To all intents and purposes they are indistinguishable from legal plates, which makes the law on plates an ass.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The plates look to be legal as far as can be seen and read. The supplier (if their blurb is to be believed) are breaking the law in their supply of them, but that is not your problem.

Reply to
Mrcheerful