numerous electric door problems

I have a Rover Coupe which has the following problems on the drivers side door.

Electric window doesn't work but control unit makes clicking sound when I use switch. One of the motors in the mirror doesn't work so mirror points permanently outwards!

Also :)

The cabin light doesn't come on when I open the door, and the alarm doesn't sound when I open the door with the front lights still on.

Thats four things on one side, could these be related? (apart from the obvious - "Yes, its a Rover")

Ta Rich.

Reply to
Kav

Stuck motor/ mechanism? Is it a click in a something's jammed kind of way, or a click like a relay?

Take it apart, try runnnig power through that motor. Or try cleaning it/ turning it by hand, then plugging it back in. Could be stuck, dead, or not getting power.

Open the door, and look on the A post - There should be a little plunger switch, which will almost certainly have stopped making contact. Try pressing it in, then letting it ping out (by sliding your finger off it, don't let it release gently). It might well make contact after the third or fourth attempt. On my car that tends to last a fewdays to a couple of weeks before I have to do it again, but really you could just take the switch out and give it a damned good clean. Or replace it if it's too far gone, or you're not as tight as me (they're only a couple of quid usually).

I don't think I've noticed any more faults with Rovers than any other car I've owned or been dragged out of bed to fix, and at least the problems seem to be easy enough to find and fix - Trying to fix the passenger electric window on a friends Cavalier had me going slightly mad, bodged and scarpered it in the end, no amount of cheap beer was worth that hassle.

Reply to
Stuffed

I can hear the relay in the control unit click, I had the lining off and poked about to see if I could get some movement but all I got was that click!

Thanks for the other tips BTW :)

Reply to
Kav

Does it click when the switch is operated in both directions? If the 'down' relay was faulty and the 'up' one ok with the window closed, then it would click but do nothing. With the engine off, you'd probably see a slight dimming of the lights if the motor is drawing stall current.

Could be either the motor jammed or a dirty switch. If you swapped the mirrors, this would show which.

These switches usually just provide an earth. Remove it and earth the wire. If the light comes on, the switch or its connections need cleaning or replacing.

But I doubt they all happened at once?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The window is up and it clicks when using down but no sound when using up.

ah good point.

Reply to
Kav

My mistake, I just nipped out and checked this and it clicks once when you press up, and what sounds like two clicks quickly in succession when you press down.

Reply to
Kav