OBDII ELM327 diagnostic software

Is anybody using any of the current selection out there & any recommendations/disrecommendations (I've got the free elmscan software but a max serial port no. og 8 is utterly useless for my laptop)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You can often re-assign the COM port assignment in Device Manager, thus moving ports > 8 (usually USB to serial adaptors or devices containing them) to ports < 8.

David Hearn

Err yes I know that, but given the number that I use it's tedious.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Just how many have you got on a laptop?

JB

Reply to
JB

Normally at least 6 in use, I use a lot of something to something random adapters that go via a "serial port" on top of that.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Jesus! What _are_ all of those other serial devices? I'm curious now. When I'm using a laptop for auto diags with VAG-COM or my BMW scanner, I only ever use either a single scanner on a serial port, or very occaisionally with a USB oscilloscope, at any one time.

JB

Reply to
JB

well the pcmcia modems normally grabbed 2, i do a lot of industrial control so every time you plug a new canbus/RS485/422/whatever adapter in it creates a new serial port. Never mind Toshibas bluetooth stack:-( Normally the OBDII ends up at about number 33.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

get an OBD / Bluetooth dongle?

I'm tempted by one of these (about £80) for my Nokia 770, as that would be wondefully portable and the software is free. However I still don't have a car with a vaguely OBD-compliant interface to it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

yep, got one. But that doesn't solve the software.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

There's open source software to do anything OBD II can do, and to do it over a Bluetooth dongle.

There's your software, there's no serial port involved, so what's your problem?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ok, where?

Reply to