OBDII reader

Hi,

I'm tempted to get this as a cheap fault code reader and use it with the open source software that the company provides - an excellent business model to sell hardware and provide accompanying open source software BTW!

It'll only work out to cost about £35 inc delivery plus possibly a bit more if Customs want some VAT. I don't suppose anyone has any good/bad experience with using this or are there any better alternatives?

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

If you are handy with a soldering iron this will apparently automatically read five protocols ISO9141-2 KWP2000 J1850-PWM J1850-VPWM CAN-BUS all for £52:50 so sounds fairly versatile. I'm guessing that will cover all OBDII and EOBD.

Link doesn't take you to right page so - third page, fourth item down. Mine is waiting for collection from the sorting office now. If you want to know any more I have all the details.

Reply to
Periproct

or

Yes, I saw that but passed over it because it was more expensive (though more flexible - I will only be using PWM for the foreseeable future until CAN gets going as I and most of friends and family drive Fords manufactured 2000 or later).

Also, although I'm fine with following instructions to assemble a circuit, I've not had much experience using soldering irons and would probably botch it up, either with sloppy soldering or overheating the various components.

The web site also doesn't mention the chip set it uses, the one I found using the Elm chip set which seems widely supported so I could buy Digimoto or similar later if I wanted. Do you know if this one uses that too?

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

I bought a similar item on eBay and binned it, the free software you can get is total crap and the paid for stuff is not much better. I then bought a Snap-on Solus which is also crap but cost £3000 more! , a second hand MT2500 with all the pods and keys is the best way to go, it's still crap unless you spend a lot of money on training on how to use it.

Reply to
Fred

Sounds way too expensive. All I need it for is reading / resetting fault codes and I'd like to be able to leave my laptop on the passenger seat while going for a drive and have it log all the parameters it can every few seconds for analysis later.

Not sure I'd want you to act as a purchasing agent for me :)

Reply to
Peter Spikings

In article , Fred use it.

Some years ago I bought a Peake Research code reader from the US for my BMW. Isn't OBDII but specific to BMW. Cost about 150 quid including duty and P&P. As well as reading codes it re-sets the service indicator. Works a treat and has saved its cost over getting a dealer to read fault codes on just the one occasion I've needed it for this.

On this basis, OBDII readers should be cheaper since they're not brand specific and have 'open source' codes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)