Obtaining service schedule

Silly question, but where would you obtain the service schedule (what needs to be done every X,000 miles) for a vehicle? I'm looking for one for a 1988 Mitsubishi Colt, where the service handbook only gives the checks after the first 600 miles, and the only workshop manual available (Russek, not Haynes) is mostly useless.

Is this a phone up a main dealer job, the manufacturer, look in Autodata, something else?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

autodata has it listed. it should have an oil change every six months along with a general check over. as per most cars cam belt is the really important bit to change as per schedule, followed by brake fluid and coolant every few years

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I think the manufacturer would refer you to the dealer, and the dealer would say bring it in and we'll service it! I doubt that a copy of the service schedule supplied with the car would still be available.

Autodata is good for many things, but the service schedules are too generic, and often don't conform to the manufacturer's data. I think they are basically designed for independent garages to print off to impress the customer, TBH

You don't mention which engine you have, but I can tell you all the petrols had a cam belt change interval of 60K miles; this was later reduced to 54K miles, and would be when I would change it. Basic service (engine oil, filter, safety checks) is scheduled at 6K miles on Autodata.

Other than that, I think you will just need to use common sense. Do the oil/filter at 6K, all the other filters plus level checks at 12K, then plugs at 24K perhaps.

If you look at service schedules, you will see that 90% of them are things that the sensible owner does regularly anyway. When I service my own car, I don't need to check tyre pressures or tread depth for example, because I do that on at least a fortnightly basis. The service schedules are written to allow for the masses of folk who just drive!

If there is anything specific you think might be in Autodata, post again and I'll look it up.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks. I might see if I can have a look next like it's in for a service. Do you happen to know what sort of interval the cambelt change is likely to be?

Cheers, Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Golden rule is that if you've just bought it, if there's no proof its been done, get it done.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Fuck, but those bells are deafening.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks. Common sense is what I've been running on so far, so it's good to have that backed up :)

Fair enough. It was just that looking at the 600 mile service there were quite a few things I wouldn't have thought of (not to hand so I can't remember the specifics), so I did wonder if there was other model-specific stuff. But I suppose there isn't once it gets out of the initial bedding-down period.

Thanks!

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos