Octavia Brake Disks

Everyone -

My Octavia 1.9TDI (T reg - 110hp model - 96000 hard motorway miles) is going to need a new set of disks, both front and rear, and pads to pass it's MOT as the existing ones have a lip the size of the Grand Canyon... braking performance hasn't been affected (yet). Any idea how much a garage will charge to fit them (I use an independant and they're very reasonably priced and do the job well) do you get pattern parts, probably qh or girling (which are vw without the price?) for this vehicle ( = golf, passat, seat?) or is it better to get genuine vw ones??

Googling throws up loads of disk suppliers at reasonable prices but I thought I'd pass it to some of the sages in here....

Also it got its cambelt and idlers replaced after the stock VW waterpump failure at 62000 miles (replaced with a QH item which I've been assured lasts a lot longer than the stock item) should i get this doing at the same time as I don't want my engine munched.... asking it to survive twice is rather a lot...??

Cheers -

Les

Reply to
Les Crossan

Why not do it yourself?

Reply to
Conor

"Les Crossan" wrote in message news:Gf4Re.99393$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

FWIW, brake performance isn't affected by Grand Canyon lips until the disc breaks in half because it's too thin.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Work pressure mainly, and the lack of a decent toolkit! Are there any nasties to look out for like hub nuts or anything like that, being in IT means i can't afford to have the car laid up for long ): Getting a manual may be a start i'll nip along to Halfrauds and get one today, take a look and order up the disks / pads. Any recommended suppliers, guys?

Cheers -

Les

Reply to
Les Crossan

You shouldn't have a problem with any of the main suppliers, try German Swedish and French or Euro Car Parts. (IIRC the nearest ECP to you in the team valley trading estate on or 2 rows back from the main road towards the old Festival Site.)

Reply to
Depresion

"Les Crossan" wrote in message news:I5dRe.99524$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Tee hee - being in IT means I hardly ever need to use the car, so it can be laid up for as long as I like :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Brake discs are usually a dead easy job. On most cars you just remove the road wheel, take two caliper retaining bolts out (usually 17mm or

19mm head, but occasionally hex key), and the disc falls off. Rear may have handbrake shoes inside it which may need backing off and readjusting afterwards, but that's usually just a starwheel you lever with a screwdriver.
Reply to
Chris Bolus