ODB dongle and Torque App

I can't quite believe this, but I bought this for £10 including postage:

I downloaded the free (with adverts) version of Torque onto my Android phone, and it actually does work on my 1999 Focus. My Flabber is totally Gasted.

Now I have real time display/graphs of all sorts of zappy engine parameters, instant or average mpg calculations, a trip computer and a ton of other stuff I'll probably never use.

I can read and reset fault codes, if I had any, but none have occurred in the 3.5 years and nearly 50,000 miles since I've had the car. (The ECU also has no historic fault codes stored - not sure this means it has never had any, or there just aren't any stored, and whether its possible to erase such historical data)

If I had a hat I would eat it, but I've a Pousin in the oven so I shall eat that instead.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Interesting. I have no Androids, or similar, but I suppose I could activate Bluetooth on my laptop. Unless there is a version which would store the info. Thanks.

Reply to
Davey

that instead.

I've only got an iPhone, but bugger me that's appealing! Anyone tried this with dash command?

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

If you have that, this is worth a read:

Lee

last one was the maf sensor itself

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Apple kit can connect over Bluetooth to other stuff. It's not perfect, but its better than it used to be.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Looks interesting* but make sure the bluetooth is off when ya leave the car, or it may be that the car leaves ya when some hacker works out reprogramming of locks, keys etc...

  • eBay here I come :)
Reply to
Adrian C

I don't think you have any control of the Bt. I unplug mine, as the OBD socket is permanently powered and I don't use the car every day.

Reply to
Geo

I was leaving mine in the Meriva until I noticed I was still getting stats on Torque on my Galaxy SII when I was indoors. ;-)

Torque + BT reader are fantastic bits of kit if you like getting a bit of an insight to what's going on (even if only for the S&G's etc).

I've even used the 'Heads up display' option of Torque with my Archos

8oG9 Tablet and it also works very well indeed.

My dongle works fine on the 2004 Meriva and 2001 Corsa and I think it worked on mates Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin and whilst it 'connected' to his Mrs's 04 Focus it didn't seem to display anything much.

What is quite good is the mpg readout (if you don't have it on the car itself etc). You can quickly see for example that the 1.2 16V Corsa does around 50 mpg and the 1.6 8V Meriva ~35.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m