Odd light behaviour - could it be the shunt unit?

Hi,

my Mk1 Ph 1 Clio is troubling me.

The nearside side light, nearside tail light and both licence plate lights are all kaput. All otehr lights are ok.

The bulbs are fine, fuses have all been checked, there are just no volts getting to any of them. I can understand why the licence plate lights are not working as these are fed from the nearside rear light cluster, so that explains that, but why both front and rear lights are out is strange.

I had a quick look at the Haynes wiring diagrams and after a lie down with a cold flannel, I came to the conclusion that one of my shunts is at fault (it's the ony item that links all three faults).

Firstly, where will I find this shunt, is it one of the brown boxes in the compartment next to the battery? and secondly how much to replace.

Or has any one got any other ideas as to what is causing this, as I am at a bit of a loss.

many thanks,

Reply to
Heds

The message from "Heds" contains these words:

On the wife's it was the springy contacts in the socket which connects to the back of the lamp housing. It'd melted inside, allowing the contact to move away from the pin. Of course - the looped back connection to other lights wasn't disturbled.

I fixed it years ago by melting the connector casing and pushing it all back into the right place and it's been fine since.

Still leaks round the sunroof or aerial though - she gets a shower first drive after rain.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for the reply guy.

I have a confession to make.

Have just been back out to the car and triple checked every single fuse.... and guess what, I had missed one.

I feel like a right plonker, and will shut the door on my way out.

My only excuse is it was late, raining and I was tired, and the fuse does look ok until closer inspection.

But, he said swiftly moving on, I would still like to know where these shunts are mentioned in Haynes..

:-)

/Heds

Reply to
Heds