Off to France...

Any advice on stick-on beam deflectors? Never used these before

Reply to
newshound

Yes.

Check you need them; some cars have a lever under the bonnet to do the job for you.

If you have to fit them to plastic lenses, when you get back don't use solvent to remove the gooey mess they leave behind.

Don't be tempted to take a chance without. I have seen the French police refuse to allow a vehicle to proceed past the Eurotunnel exit if they were not fitted.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Dont forget your High viz vest, Fire extinguisher and warning triangle. all mandatory in france

Reply to
charles

In article , snipped-for-privacy@holder.freeserve.co.uk writes

Also in Austria, as I found out a couple years ago.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@holder.freeserve.co.uk" writes

Fire extinguisher is not mandatory in France.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , newshound writes

They don't work with some modern cars as the area to be "deflected" is irregular and fragmented.

Ford give out a paper template for some of their models to aid masking off the required bits.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

But a bulb kit is.

And it's worth remembering that the hi-vis has to be kept inside the main cabin of the car, so the driver can put it on before exiting the vehicle. Passengers don't need them.

Reply to
Adrian

"Fire Extinguisher - If you fail to render assistance in the event of a fire or take necessary precautions to prevent a fire from escalating it is an offence"

covers it....

Reply to
Paul

The fire extinguishers in my kitchen and in my car are not mandatory.

They are the result of experience.

1) Having had to tackle a blazing grill pan caused by the in-laws, who were not familiar with our cooker, but were helping out whilst my wife was in hospital.

2) Witnessing a plastic car (Reliant Robin) melt down in a nearby town High street because nobody around had an extinguisher to stop it before it got going properly.

Reply to
Gordon H

In message , Adrian writes

Bulb kit is not compulsory. Only hi-vis and triangle is:-

Paul Giverin

Its not mandatory. Scroll down to the bottom of the page you quoted and read the correction given:-

"Fire Extinguishers are not currently obligatory in France for cars, though they are in Spain, Belgium etc.... If you do carry a fire extinguisher while driving in France and you see a vehicle on fire, under French law you are obliged to stop and render assistance, the same counts for first aid kits. Submitted By: Driving in France Advice "

So in essence, extinguishers and first aid kits are not compulsory but if you do carry them, you are required to use them to help others.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Tesco do a kit - Cheaper than buying them on the ferry.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Thanks all for the advice!

Reply to
newshound

Bulb kit isn't compulsory but you can be fined on the spot for a blown bulb if you don't have a replacement.

Reply to
Conor