..oh, then there's the rear view mirror

The rear view mirror fell off the Escort other day. I can recall re-glueing it several years ago but have no idea what I used.

I had a look in Halfords today and there is a glue kit for mirrors - it comes with a small tube of adhesive and a 'special pad', but on the back it says not suitable for Fords (and a couple of other makes).

The only other option I looked at was 90-second epoxy.

The mirror stalk is aluminium, which I have cleaned off, and on the windscreen there is a thin, black square of some material (non sticky), which I have also cleaned.

Any thoughts on best approach?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Linker3000

NOrmally the ones with heated front windows.

That's normally a bad idea, you want something with a little give in it.

Ford actually sell the right kit for a few quid.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Any car shop will have the little green double sided sticky pads. The trick is to clean the black area well and degrease it, same for the mirror, the pad is usually green covered on one side, someone told me that side goes to the glass, it looks the same both sides to me, but ..............?

stick it to mirror first, then screen on a nice warm day, or at least get the car warmed up before sticking it on, it is perfectly possible to crack the windscreen by pushing the mirror too hard against the screen, Once in place hold the stalk to get the initial ajustment and don't touch it for a few days.

The kits with the mesh are very good, but there can be an issue with localised heat build up during curing, although I have never heard of it breaking the glass as claimed. They are also very expensive and only do one application, you can get loads of sticky pads for the same cost.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful