Oil £10 for 4L

While stocks last, Halfords are doing oil for £10 for 4litres This is for fully-synth or semi-synth. (own brand). It's available in their shops

alan

Got x 2, thanks. Normal price £37.99 each. Still plenty left in shop.

Reply to
johannes

Don't remember seeing any Halfords own brand 4 litres at anything like 38 quid. That's more what you'd pay for a top spec branded oil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Halfords often price their oil at a high price so they can always do a

30% or 50% off offer.

I see their 10/40 part-synth is now down to £6 for 4 litre

Reply to
alan

In message , alan writes

Shame they don't stock 5w-20 grade.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I went there today, inspected the shelf for Halford's Fully Synth

5W/40 just as the offer, and I can assure you that I remeber the price £37.99 as I took particular notice.

I have used this oil previously before the price went through the £30 ceiling. Since then I have used Tesco same spec at £20/4L.

Reply to
johannes

Perhaps your branch is the one where they sell it at full price for the period required by law - before selling it everywhere else at '50% off'. No one in their right mind would pay that much for an own brand oil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But at £10 it is more that 50% off. I remember other times in the past where they did BOGOF around this time of year. But Halfords prices are mostly extremely high compared to other places, so only offers or panic buys are relevant to me. As said, I get mostly get the same oil from Tesco at £20. ASDA also have cheap fully syth, but slightly lower spec. ASDA 5L Fully Synth 5W/40 API SL/CF ACEA A3/B3 TESCO 4L Fully Synth 5W/40 API SM/CF ACEA A3/B3/B4 HFORD 4L Fully Synth 5W/40 API SM/CF ACEA A3/B4

Reply to
johannes

Or 5w30 semi-synth!

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Interestingly, the HFORD 4L botthe is much larger that the Tesco 4L bottle and about the exact same size as ASDA's 5L bottle, but this is a common trick...

Reply to
johannes

I bought some 5w-30 semi-synth from them about 3 months ago when they had the same £10 offer on. Can't you use the fully synth stuff? Its the same price.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I think they do that (branded Halfords oil for Fords) but possibly they may have run out of stock on line but may still have it in the shops.

Use the fully synth oil instead.

Fully synth is often on sale at around £15 to £20 elsewhere while part-synth is harder to find at a reasonable price.

Reply to
alan

OK, I admit I didn't think about that, I assumed the two were not interchangable.

Or is that mineral and synthetic oils?

The car in question is a 2000 Fiesta 1.3 (Mrs has a 98 1.25), both specify 5w30 semi-synthetic.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

the correct genuine Ford oil is now fully synthetic and can usually be bought around the 20 quid for 5 litres mark

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There's no problem with mixing mineral, semi or full synth - except you won't get the full benefit of the better quality.

There's also never any reason whatsoever not to use semi or full - apart from cost. No engine "needs" mineral or semi and no engine will "suffer" from using oil that's "too good". The one exception to that is if you're breaking in a freshly rebuilt engine - cheap mineral will allow it to bed in a bit more quickly, by allowing that initial wear.

Reply to
Adrian

Older pushrod engines may need an oil to an older spec - with the correct additives. The zinc once used isn't approved of these days, but the replacements not as good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a slight issue with ZDDP in some engines, yes - but IIRC it's only SM-and-above which reduces the levels, and totally independently of the base stock.

Reply to
Adrian

I've just been to Euro Car Parts for a battery for the 156.

They have massive 20lt drums of 10/40 semi synth for 35 quid.

Not quite as cheap as Halfords, but worth knowing about when the Halfords offer ends.

Reply to
SteveH

Umm, 20l for £35 is cheaper than 4l for £10...

Reply to
Adrian

Doh!

Brain fade. First day back doing proper work today... And the cats woke us up at 3am fighting with cardboard boxes. Then I had to drag myself down to jump start K's car at 6.30am.

Reply to
SteveH