Oil Additives- any good or Wot ?

Would appreciate some advice for a Vectra Petrol engine150,000miles on clock. Some people say oil additives are good others say it is a con. Any views/ experiences- much appreciated

Reply to
ramjaminn1

What do you expect the additives to do? The few additives I've tried in the past (like about 18 years ago) which were supposed to do things like stop oil leaks or make a clapped out RWD Cavalier run better made no difference what so ever. As most people here will tell you, regular oil changes with a reasonable oil do far more for your car than some additive which, if it were any good, would be included in the oil anyway.

Reply to
malc

ramjaminn1 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@walkhouse.demon.co.uk:

Snake oil is good,if you are the type to believe in it.

Reply to
Tunku

I watched a docuinfosoapmercial years ago, they ran a car at a certain revs, noted the speed, added the super oil improver, ran it again at the same revs and it went faster.

It might have been the same stuff or another product, they reckon they added it, ran the engine, drained all the oil out and then ran the engine for the equivalent of 100000 miles with no wear.

I don't know how they get away with this bullshit.

I used to be very bored on a Sunday morning and we had just got Sky.

Reply to
R D S

So, they used a higher gear?

Reply to
David Taylor

No it was the same gear, apparently everything was the same but it managed about 4 extra mph.

Reply to
R D S

Was the snake oil applied to the tyres and the 4 extra mph measured with the vehicle's own speedometer?

Reply to
Ben C

Well, 20 yrs or so ago , things were different. Oil was junk compared with nowadays, and additives may have been worth adding then. Wynns certainly slowed down the (normal) rapid piston ring wear rate on my 1958 BSA A10

650cc bike in the late 70's. I stripped that engine many times and measured ring life/wear many times in the 10 yrs I had that bike and Wynns rocked. Nowadays the oils have got all the additives you need already in them.
Reply to
SteveB

This is exactly why the stuff sells.

Reply to
adder1969

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It is also perfectly reasonable to expect the 4mph increase...

...After around 1/3 of the engine has worn away, this makes the whole vehicle lighter, hence the speed increase. :-)

Reply to
Thingy

I didn't say I believed it, see my previous post where I said 'I don't know how they get away with this bullshit'

Reply to
R D S