Oil Change

Hi all, just after a bit of advice if you don't mind.

Took car in yesterday for a service (Just to keep book stamped as its less than 3 years old), and I really have a feeling that they haven't done it. Car is a 2.4 diesel, and it was it's first (2 year!!!) oil change (Although I did get a friend to do it last year as I like to change it at least yearly). As I have had a problem with this garage before, when I picked it up I checked the oil and it was as black as black. I know oil in a diesel engine goes black within a few miles (50+) , but they are insistent on it going this colour within 5 miles (Car Speedo shows they did 4) of a 'road test'. Spoke to shop Manager who insists the mechanic would not lie. I can't check oil filter as it is one of these new paper jobbies and is hidden under plastic which I cant access. I'm just not convinced as other jobs appear to have been done hastily which I also pointed out. Any views / opinions / ideas?. I don't fancy changing the oil again 'just in case' as it requires an expensive oil (6 litres) and I feel I shouldn't have to. (Would cost me £50) On the other hand it's a lovely engine and I don't want to cause it any unnecessary damage.

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
MikeS

Having it tested is likely to be more costly than the oil is worth. Ask the garage to sign a small statement that they have changed the oil. Then if you get a problem before the next change they might be able to be held liable. Or, they might not be prepared to sign such a statement. Why not, you might ask?

Or they might just change the oil again for you while you wait to get you out of their hair.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

In message , MikeS writes

IME the oil in a diesel goes black almost immediately. I haven't had to do this for a while but in the past, if I've been suspicious of a garage, I've put a discrete scratch mark on the oil filter. If they are going to skimp on the oil then they won't change the filter either. To be honest, despite my suspicions, I've never caught out a garage doing this.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Which rather begs the question, why did you try them again?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

changing the oil is one of the easiest parts of a service, IME it is unlikely they haven't. diesel engines do make the oil go black immediately as there is a fair bit of old sooty oil left in the engine after draining and that mixes with the fresh and makes it appear filthy straight away.

Don't worry about it or change it again, its up to you.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

After only 4 miles I am sceptical, but then it may been left idling for ages. I used to scratch the date into my old oil filters, but these new ones are paper in a re-usable canister. Can't do it!

Reply to
MikeS

Garage is 2 miles away, where I got the car from, had a courtesy car available and was replacing a part under warranty. Next franchised is over 20, no car available.

Reply to
MikeS

I used to always do oil changes, but this car won't fit on my drive on ramps, even if I incline them off the pavement or use an incline to get them on. Also as a plastic under body protector drops down, this would interfere with the ramps. Only;by way to do it is up on a proper garage ramps, which we have at work. I would have done it, but need the stamp in the book for the warranty.

Reply to
MikeS

The oil on my Diesel (VW 2.4 litre AAB engine) goes jet black immediately on startup after an oil and filter change. I've done all 25 oil changes since new myself, and would have had suspicions like yours if I hadn't seen this with my own eyes.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

It'll go black immediately. If you're really worried go to National & get them to change it for £15 & the new stuff'll still be black & you'll have the log book stamp.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thus spake Paul Giverin ( snipped-for-privacy@giverin.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

Whenever I change my oil & filter myself (every 6 mths), or it's changed as part of a scheduled service, I write the date on the new filter body with a black felt-tip. Not only does it serve as a reminder for me, I can also see at a glance whether or not the filter has been changed at the next dealer service. Thankfully no problems yet. In fact last time they must have thought it such a good idea they wrote the date on the new filter body themselves!

Appreciate this may not be possible with all filters. My car is a 1.6 Astra Club, petrol.

Note to self: change oil & filter this weekend ;-)

Reply to
A.Clews

The blackness occurs as the hydrocarbons in the oil are crushed and burn=20 iirc, so once it's all been pumped round the engine it'll be all black=20 :)

--=20 Alex Threlfall Cyberprog New Media

Alex Threlfall