oil consumption

To keep the oil level topped to the max mark on the dipstick on a '98 Hyundai Accent since it was last serviced ~5500 miles ago, i`ve used about a litre and a half of oil (65k on the clock, definitely legit, i`ve owned it from new)

I don`t appear to be losing /dripping any oil, and don`t appear to be burning any to the extent where i`m seeing any visible smoke behind me.

How high a consumption does it sound to the regulars please ? (it seems a little high to me)

I`m not sure what went in it at the last service, but i`m putting semi-synth in it now to top it up, 10/40 IIRC

Reply to
Colin Wilson

And to me at such a comparitively low mileage. Neither of my cars, one at 70k the other at 170k need topping up between oil changes. That's not to say they don't use any oil, but at oil change time the level is nowhere near minimum. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Wheras I've known VWs that used 1/2l/1000m from new, which is within spec.

Reply to
Duncanwood

I don`t remember ever having to put as much in my other cars - one of which was a Skoda Estelle :-} but....

Youch... mine`s not bad at all in comparison to that !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The difference being though is that yours has developed a thirst while the VW thirst will decline substantially if it is run-in reasonably hard. If yours has been regularly serviced and driven moderately then it should not be developing a thirst for oil at that mileage. Don't jump to premature conclusions as to the reason though. It could be for a number of reasons and requires a bit of non-invasive investigation and time to judge.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I wouldn't worry. Chances are the crankshaft and/or camshaft oil seals are starting to weep and you may lose a small amount down the valve stem oil seals.

A couple of litres per 10,000 miles isn't too bad.

Reply to
Conor

I had similar worries about my Punto until I checked the handbook and the spec says that the oil consumption is about 1L per 1,000 miles. I thought this odd but it was in the book so I just top up regularly.

Reply to
Richard Conway