Oil disposal

I just read something from the National Tyres website which says "Recent environmental legislation dictates that only a carrier registered with the environment agency can conduct the disposal of waste oil - effectively putting a stop to DIY oil changes."

Is this true, and what does it mean for DIY disposal of oil? I've never disposed of oil myself, so I don't really know how it works. My dad's always taken it to either the local tip, or maybe to work (I'm not sure), but he doesn't work there now. If I have a load of old old how can I get rid of it?

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

1) Paint it on the garden fence now that the use of creosote is illegal 2) Use it to light garden bonfires

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

How does that stop you carrying out oil changes? It only makes it difficult to dispose of the old oil afterwards!

Here are my suggestions:

1) Paint the garden fence with it now that it is illegal to use creosote.

2) Use it to light garden bonfires.

3) Walk to the local tip carrying it.

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yeah, but I don't wanna be stuck with a house full of oil do I? It's not as if you can just tip it down the drain. I suppose I could try selling it on ebay ;-)

All useless!

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Eh? You get one of those oil changer cans from local DIY car store for a few quid. You drop the oil into that, pop the lid back on then trundle down to your local council refuse site who'll have a massive tank you can empty it into.

Reply to
Conor

I couldn't find this on the web site?

Most council's have places that will receive used engine oil. Look it up. Naturally, when you hand it to someone who is registered for conducting the disposal, then you're no longer the disposer, so such problem never arises. It's in everybody's interest that the used oil is disposed properly, and never ever pour in the drains.

Reply to
Johannes

Why would he take the oil to work with him? Unless he works in a garage that can dispose of it, I suppose.

You've answered your own question - take it to the local tip yourself. The council will be registered to be able to conduct the disposal of oil - it's as simple as that.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Sell it on Ebay as biodiesel.

Reply to
Mark W

In message , petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

It's bollocks. As others have said, your local council will have facilities to dispose of it.

Oh, coincidentally, National Tyres sell an oil change service. Now, isn't it odd that they would wish to promulgate a myth that you must pay somebody to change your oil for you?

"By the way, while changing your oil, I noticed that your brake pads are worn, and I'm afraid I can't legally allow you to drive the car away in that condition"...

Page is here, by the way:

Steve Walker

The legislation allows you to transport up to 5 litres for disposal or up to 20 litres for recovery without any need to comply with the regulations. As you say, the implication from National is bollocks. I've emailed them to that effect.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

[...]

"effectively putting a stop to DIY oil changes." - My foot!

Amazing isn't it. Thanks for that reference.

Reply to
Johannes

If you have a diesel then you can just enpty it into your fuel tank.....:-)

(It's possibly not a good idea btw)

Reply to
Chris Street

It's not easy to find, but IIRC you click products, and then oil.

Yeah, the site's obviously talking rubbish then. That's where my dad usually takes it.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

It's not a garage, but they have big oil drums where the put old oil in. I think it was oil from their machinery.

yourself. The

Yep, I'll do that. Just making sure that the website was talking rubbish.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

No, mix it 25% with real diesel, but filter it through a nappy liner first :-)

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Many small garages have their workshops heated by waste oil burners, it solves their disposal problem and cuts down on heating bills. They could easily take it off your hands, I had an arrangement with one for several years. Of course in summer they might be a bit reluctant if they are short of storage capacity.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

Can't see why I shouldn't continue to take it to the tank at the local dump just like I've been doing for twenty five years.

Reply to
Guy King

Codswallop

Change oil, pour old oil into container and seal up.

Take container to local council tip and ask for oil disposal tank

take container to oil disposal tank, pour oil into tank, throw container away.

easy peasy.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Well technically it's true, as people do need to be registered, but it's talking bollocks in that it makes DIY oil changes a thing of the past, as pretty much anyone can take their used oil down to the tip.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's marketing for you!

I allowed National to change the oil on my car recently. I figured at £20 it would probably be cheaper than buying decent oil and a filter myself and it would save me from getting my hands dirty (yes, I'm lazy!). They didn't try and sell me anything else so none of this "Your brake pads / shock absorbers / etc, are shot...." which was refreshing for a fast fit centre.

However, I was rather taken aback when the mechanic[1], after spending a good 2 minutes looking around the engine bay, removing the oil filler cap, looking at it and then replacing it, turned to me and said, "Do you know where the dipstick is mate?". I wanted to say, "Stood right next to me!" but, as he was going to be working on my car, I thought better of it.

BTW, the dipstick on my car isn't hidden or hard to find, it's near the front with a yellow loop on top (contrasts well against the black plastic inlet manifold).

[1] A chimpanzee would probably be better qualified.
Reply to
Michael Cotton