Oil \ fluid extractors

I was wondering if anyone has used an oil\fluid extractor for changing oil etc and have an comments about it ?

Reply to
tishtash

And yes I did mean the engine

Hardly seems worth it for a car as sump plugs are generally easy to get to, undo and drain from

I guess that this may be a follow on from your earlier post so jack up the car and put an axle stand under a suspension mounting point near to each front wheel

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Thats actually what I was thinking, instead of axle stand, I could do it with a extracter. The underside of my car has a shield which can be removed if jacked up and supported then I can undo the sump. As the car has to be level to drain it, can I lower it back down or could I just level it off with another jack at the back ? (was thinking to put 2 axle stands on the front cross member and a jack holding the rear up ? or would I need another

2 stands in the back ?
Reply to
tishtash

Normally cars do not have to be level to drain the oil. If you were to lower it down again there would probably not be enough space to fit the container to catch the oil The sump bung is normally at the rear of the sump so if the car is tilting backwards a bit then that is a good thing

It is recommended that they are level when refilling so as to get a true reading on the dipstick

As you appear to be a novice at this work have you also considered that you will need to remove the oil filter and replace with a new one. This can sometimes be more difficult than draining the oil

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Often they don't even need to be jacked up either, once you know where the sump plug is.

This Polo's shield sounds a bit annoying if it has to be removed before you can get to the sump plug.

I've always found there is enough room, although I've never owned a Pagani Zonda. I'm too lazy to jack the car up unless I have to.

Reply to
Ben C

I don't like the sound of those extractors. You want the old oil to pour out freely from the bottom so it brings all the swarf and gunk with it.

Remember to warm the engine up before you change the oil by the way, by which I mean actually drive around for a few miles. The oil should be hot. Be careful not to get burned if it's too hot, and wear rubber gloves anyway because old oil is horrible at any temperature.

Reply to
Ben C