Oil From Turbo Outlet

97 S70 T5 97k

A while ago, I had to remove the charge air pipe from the turbo, as part of a bush replacement job. I noticed that the inner surface of the pipe had an oily residue on it. Is it likely to be normal oil residue that has been dumped into the compressor by the breather system, or am I looking at a leaky compressor shaft seal?

Condition wise: oil consumption is not excessive, and there is no exhaust smoke. The turbo pulls very well - infact, just a few days ago my factory spec. car outdragged an impreza turbo, complete with enormous exhaust and all the trimmings! Nevertheless, I have been slightly worried about the oil, as I am aware that it has to pass through the intercooler and valves before it is burnt. Cause for concern or nothing to worry about?

Reply to
Stu

Perfectly normal.

There is a drain hole on the bottom of the intercooler which may also be moist which is just fine. If this starts to drip- then you need to investigate leaky turbo seals, but with regualr oil changes and not boosting over about 1 bar it'll last well over 150k miles.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." wrote in news:dsamff$imt$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

Excellent. Ta very much, Tim. Actually, it doesn't seem to be using much oil at all, now. All I've done is changed the oil from Mobil 0w40 to Chevron 5w40!

Reply to
Stu

I wouldnt expect a healthy turbo and white block to be using any measurable oil on the stick in about 5000miles!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim \(remove obvious\)" wrote in news:dsbe1m$jkc$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

White block? Does that term refer to the material used (i.e. aluminium)? There's plenty of T5 owners in the Volvo owners club who use over a litre of synthetic every 1000 miles. Mine isn't using that much, so I doubt that I have a problem. It seems to be a characteristic of this engine when running on thinner oils and when driven hard.

Reply to
Stu

Is it likely to be normal oil residue that has been dumped into the compressor by the breather system,.

Yes. Blow-by gases used to be allowed to exhaust into the atmosphere. Nowadays they are rebreathed. Sending oily fumes through the turbo inlet doesn't appear to good design but it's what they do. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

White block = any of the alloy modular engines. (as opposed to the cast iron red blocks)

Although we dont have a T5 in the family at the moment, we did have an 850 T5 which didnt use any oil at all, during its 120k with us. Admittedly mother didnt drive it very hard, and neither did I for any period, as sustaining medium to full power resulted in highly illegal speeds!!

The current 2.5 NA also doesnt use any oil.either. Both cars ran on a diet of 10w-40 winter, and 15w-40 summer, and had their crankcase vents throughly cleaned every 12months.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..