Oil leakage from S reg Ford Mondeo 1800 hatch back

First sign of trouble was a slight grating noise from engine top end which grew slowly worse. A day or so later I noticed oil on the path. Ran engine on tick over to find origin of sound with a listening stick. No luck. Got in car and happened to move steering wheel and the sound grew very much louder so guessed this was power steering circuit trouble. I've swarmed beneath the car and so far find there is another radiator in a rotten position sat close up to the main radiator but on the inside, ie, nearest the engine. This is covered with oil so it seems to be leaking from some point from the top of this smaller radiator/oil-cooler. I've moved a tray to get a better view & it looks like I may have to shift a bit more to get a good look. I read a post where someone said they'd simply by-passed this cooler reckoning our climate didn't need it. I'm hoping if he reads this he'll let me know if all went well as I can't find his email address and he did the job a year ago. Anyway like I say, I've only just started and I'd be very glad of any comments about the layout of this hydraulic circuit, where it comes from, goes to, if the cooler will come out by removal of the two nuts I've so far noticed or is it a lot of trouble, and any opinions on by-passing. I've had scores of cars in my time but never come across power steering before. I must say that I'm surprised that oil gets hot just by pumping it round but there it is. Thanks and Cheers.

Reply to
geoff0161

[...]

the extra rad is for the air con, the power steering cooler is just a pipe

Reply to
mrcheerful

The power-steering cooler is in front of the rad and is a "U" shaped steel pipe with small fins. Easy job to change and around £45 from Ford, you get new flexi-pipes and clips with it.

HTH

Reply to
Tony Bond

Sounds like the grating noise might be coming from the power steering pump. The fact that the noise increases when you move the steering wheel would indicate that, but not being familiar with Mondeos, I've no idea where it's mounted, or how expensive it is to replace. The leak is something else. If the power steering reservoir level is still OK, it could be coming from almost anywhere at the front end of the engine, from the valve cover downwards. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G