Old Escort van workshop manual?

My old (1989) Escort van will need a bit of work soon. Most things are self explanatory, so I dont need any guidance on minor things, but I'm expecting to do the clutch at some point, so a workshop manual would be a good reference point if I get stuck. It is 1989, 1.8D van. Are there any specific manuals for these, or do I just get a 'diesel escort car' manual? It appears that Haynes dont do a specific one for this engined van, but do do a separate 'engine' manual. Any ideas on what I should get? Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yes, you're going to need two manuals.

Just a couple of ideas; Haynes manuals often go for under a tenner inc. postage on eBay. Local libraries often have them if you just need to look up something specific.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

"A.Lee" wrote in message news:1i0ijsa.1l8u45b1adsibkN%alan@darkroom.+.com...

Probably just as easy asking on here. Haynes will tell you that you need to dismantle most the vehicle to do the clutch, and how to remove everything other than what you're trying to remove.

Clutch, is reasonably straight forward. Split both bottom ball joints, remove driveshafts. They can be a bit tight, but a suitable lever/gentle tap with a hammer gets them out the gearbox (oil will go everywhere at this point - there's no drain plug). If doing it on ground, you'll probably want to remove the driveshafts completely by undoing the front hub nuts, and knocking them out the hubs). Unbolt the gear linkage (one bolt + one pinch bolt), remove the air filter box, unscrew the speedo cable, and disconnect the clutch cable. You now ideally need to support the engine from the top, using the top vacuum pump bolt (if you use the engine lifting eye, the engine hangs awkwardly, and has to be levered forward from underneath to get the gearbox out past the subframe). Now remove the rear gearbox mount. This is the most awkward part of the job. Undo the top nut (18mm IIRC), then undo the three nuts holding the bracket onto the gearbox, then curse and swear alot as you try and maneouver the bracket out. Then remove the studs from the gearbox to stop them catching on the subframe when you get round to removing the gearbox (think its just the top two that need removed). Now you can remove the front gearbox mount, which is straighforward enough. After that, remove the starter motor, and all the bell housing bolts (just remember that the earth lead goes onto one of the top bell housing bolts) except one (leave whatever ones easiest to get to) to stop the gearbox falling out. Now lower the engine down a bit at the hung end. After taking out the last bell housing bolt, the gearbox should now come out fairly easily. Then I'm sure you can figure out how to do the clutch.

Only bits to be aware of is that the release fork is free on it's pivots. If you need to remove it, you've got to unbolt the arm on the outside, then it can be tapped out to be cleaned.

Reply to
moray

OK, thanks for that. Alan.

Reply to