Omega Elite V6 2.5 Exhaust manifold

Cracked! How hard a job is it to replace on an 98 car?

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Not hard, just lots of bits to take off to get at it.

Reply to
Roger

OK, i'll have a look.

Ta

Reply to
Nige

Which side? The bolts are hard to get at and I think you have to remove the engine mount and jack up the engine a bit to get at the ones on the nearside. The rear lower stud on the nearside gets very hot and the chances are it will shear.

Are you sure it's cracked? I had a diagnosis of a cracked manifold but couldn't see anything and when we dropped the exhaust it was the downpipe gaskets that had failed so it turned out to be an easy fix. Even the heatshield bolts are hard to get at and they have to come off before you can get to the manifold nuts.

If it's done over 100k and you are hoping to keep it then it might be worth changing the head gaskets. It's a lot of work but much easier to get at the exhaust manifolds when they are on the workbench.

There is an 'Omega Owners Forum'

whereyou will get lots of advice and maybe even assistants depending onwhere you live.

Reply to
rp

That's a guess by Roger there. He knows nothing about cars etc. a fact he reinforces every time he posts.

I'd ignore him and listen to someone (anyone) else....

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

See... you lot are always having a go at Roger and that's exactly what he said. Kind of.

;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Ta, it was a cheap car, given the amount of work, i'll not bother.

Reply to
Nige

I was very tempted to suggest that but it's a decision you have to make :-)

If you are interested in what it's like under the bonnet there are some pics of mine at various stages here:

rp