Omega heating problems

My Omega 2ltr GLS auto N plater has a heating problem and after much deliberation I can confidently say "it must be a blocked heater matrix". The problem started when I flushed the cooling system a couple of times (chemicals used) and suddenly all I started getting was cold air from the heating system. I've changed the water pump, radiator is ok, new thermostat fitted and radiator temp switch to see if they were the problem but with no joy. I've tried to open the clips on the pipe work which goes into the body of the car, leading to inside the dash area and matrix but they're proving difficult to remove. I really don't want to take the dash off to access the matrix and to get it done at a local garage is going to cost =A3500. Any one know how to remove these two clips which are in a really awkward position behind the engine and close to the brake fluid reservoir?

Or does any one think it could be something else wrong?

Help much appreciated. CHEERS

Reply to
HitMan

on 03/02/2007, HitMan supposed :

Feel the input pipe and the output pipe, both should be a similar temperature, if not you have a blocked matrix or an airlock. Assuming an airlock, you might try running the engine with the filler cap off to burp it, also trying the same with the nose facing up hill plus down hill.

If it is a blocked matrix, flushing it with lots of water (hose pipe) might help - try flushing both ways, reverse and forward. You can get special spanners for Jubilee clips or use small sockets plus T bars etc..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"HitMan" wrote

Or does any one think it could be something else wrong?

It's an airlock. Find the highest point in the cooling system and loosen it off (there may well be a spigot expressly for this purpose somewhere). Allow the air to escape and when it has, tighten it up again.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Cut off?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I'll give that a try. The manual say's the cooling system is self regulating regards air locks. Still, I will open up the expansion reservoir tank cover and let the car run for half an hour or so. Hopefully it is just an airlock Cheers.

Reply to
HitMan

How silly of me, looks like cutting off will probably be my only option if it isn't an airlock. Still find it difficult to understand why the clips wont come off? There must be a technique to it.

Cheers

Reply to
HitMan

"HitMan" wrote

Brute force and ignorance, generally. They tend to become accustomed to being where they are and do not suffer movement gladly. However, they will move if you use sufficient strength, mole grips etc.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Hi Vince I'll give it a go as soon as possible. It's just such a tricky spot where it's all located that getting any sort of leverage there is limited. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to saw it off and try and get a new connection there.

Cheers mate.

Reply to
HitMan

They are quick release clips but I don't know how they work and someone said they can leak once removed and reused. I think the end of the fitting moves out somehow. I'd check that both the pipes are the same temperature in the car. You need to remove the cardboard cover in the drivers footwell to get to them. If both or one of the pipes is cool it confirms that coolant isn't going through the matrix.

I'm assuming you don't have aircon in which case you are unlikely to have a heater bypass valve (it could be stuck if you do have one). I suggest you follow those pipes back to where they connect up to the rest of the system and disconnect them there. Then flush them with a hose pipe in both directions.

Reply to
rp

/me stabs google-groups. Why the hell does it need to redact email addresses in replies...

Oh - there probably will me.

I meant cut the clips. It's probably obvious how to remove them after you cut them.

Reply to
Ian Stirling