omega immobiliser problem

Vauxhall omega '95 on a "M"

No remote locking, and she's done 180,000 miles.

Supplied with only one key, which has worn to a nub, so couldn't get a new one cut (despite 9 attempts by "timsons" - gotta love that guarantee)

Then I snapped it.

one trip to the scrappie later.

I've replaced the drivers door lock and the ignition barrel but car is refusing to start - it turns over, just won't "catch"

I've got the remains of the original key on the key ring - the key to match the new ignition barrel still has the chip from the scrapper

Would this be interfering with the chip on the old key?

Am I better off getting a new key cut, and programmed with the original chip code?

Is it just a matter of replacing the original transponder sensor (from around the keyhole) with the one from the scrap yard car?

or can I take the wrong chip out of the new key (I'm assuming it's under the red bit of plastic) and tape the old (broken) key under the ignition barrel?

or something else entirely?

Reply to
bigegg

Get rid of the chip in the scrappie key, it will be being read by your immobiliser which is expecting a different code. Either tape the original key to the new key, or remove the chip from the original key and put it into the new key.

Reply to
SimonJ

What he said..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

bigegg explained :

Yes. The system can be defeated by putting the old key close(r) to the ignition lock.

Try covering the plastic part of the 'new' key with tin foil.

No, that is just a wire loop. Your key is recognised by the engine management system.

Some have a tiny hole opposite the coloured part, enabling you to push the transponder out with a paperclip etc..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield