Omega MV6 Timing Belt - Tools

Does anyone have any advice about changing the timing belt on a 3.0 MV6 Omega? I've looked at a couple of manuals, and they all advise using the Vauxhall tools to keep everything locked in place.

I've found a couple of sets of tools for sale, one made by Laser:

and the other by Sealey:
Any advice on either? There is quite a price difference.

Thanks,

Reply to
MBConfuse

Cant help on the tools side, but as an additional tip before slackening/removing the old belt, take a white paint type marker and put some of your own alignment marks on the engine and pulleys, so when you replace the belt you have an additional method of checking (turn the engine over by hand with a socket on the bottom pulley) before you try to start, as a mistake WILL prove costly.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Either will do, they both have the required bits in. You may find the cam lock tool is thinner in the cheaper one but that is only a guess based on price. Autovaux

hire out the kit.

There is very little tolerance on the V6 engines and you do need the kit and you need to align the cutouts on the sprockets exactly with the guide. If you do mark them with white paint make sure you don't fill the cutouts so that you can see the edges to align them.

Make sure you change all of the idlers and the tension roller. It's these that fail usually and take the belt out with them. If you have done over 80k it's worth replacing the water pump while you are in there, you have to do all of this work again if it fails.

Reply to
rp

You need a selection of Special Tools

RH camshaft locking tool (red) - Kent Moore No.KM-800-1.

LH camshaft locking tool (green) - Kent Moore No.KM-800-2.

Crankshaft locking tool - Kent Moore No.KM-800-10.

Camshaft timing gauge - Kent Moore No.KM-800-20.

Belt holding tool/wedge (yellow) - Kent Moore No.KM-800-30.

More details:

A C

All of those tools are in both of the kits the OP asked about.

Reply to
rp

when you do the belts on these it isn't just a case of locking cams up. You lock the cams before you take the belt off and fit the new belt.Then you take the locking plates out and put another aligning tool on. You then turn the idler pulley's to line the cam pulleys up fully - takes a while. Then you have to set the tension correctly.

Reply to
me140

Nice one, thanks.

I think I'll probably try the Laser kit as I've not found any negative reviews or posts.

Thanks for the Autodata guide, are they readily available for other service jobs?

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like i better leave myself a good long time then!

Another question, i see there are more than 1 types of 'timing belt kits' for my engine and year. One with raised outer edge on tensioner pully and one without. Is there any way of telling which i need before i take it apart?

Reply to
Mike