Omega V6 Timing Belt Change ? or Not ?

Dear all,

I have V-plate Omega 2.5 V6-CDX. It has a rather low 26k miles on the clock and its coming up for 2nd MOT and service time. I have a dilema and hope that somebody here can offer advice.

The VX garage mentioned - Timing belt change at 40k or 4 years to me. Since the car is almost 4 years old, does it need changing despite the low miles on the car ? I have had from new and religously serviced every year.

I have heared of some of the problems people have had when the belts (and tensioneres ??) have been changed on these V6 engines. I believe that they are a Pig to do, and since everything is all original and I have no problems with car, rattles and engine as new and purrs like a good-en, I am wondering if its worth letting a dealer loose on the engine if I know its fine ?

Is it worth having the belts done in a couple of years time, when it's closer to the 40k miles ??

Any advice gratefuly recieved.

Cheers,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Smith

Yes. Definitely.

IMO, I'd not get a dealer to do it. Ask around for a local (smallish) garage who has a good reputation for quality work, and ask them. It will probably work out a lot cheaper than a main dealer.

That'll be up to you, but when the car's 7 years old, you've done 38k, and you then hear the "pop, bang bang bang tinkle smash grind grind grind" of your cambelt having gone because you didn't change it, you _will_ get a sinking feeling.

OTOH, what's a 7 year old Omega worth? If it's less than a cambelt change....

This is just IMO BTW, but for my car, spending 100 quid getting the belt changed is a damn site cheaper than 500 quid for a new engine or 2k for a new car!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith