Ooops

Hi All,

An older mate of mine just rung to say he nearly lost his Audi the other day when the rear wheel came off! *Luckily* he was only doing about 40 mph and it was wet (allowing him to skid rather than maybe roll over?) but he seemed to suggest the offside rear hub has always been an 'issue' and back in January had a new set of bearings fitted.

It appears the large nut had stripped (so the wheel came off attached to the hub). Is this something common to some Audi's (I think it might be an 80?).

*Unluckily*, the errant wheel was hit by an oncoming 2 year old Honda and possibly wrote the thing off (wheel went underneath and ripped one of the front wheels off and underneath the car). The airbags deployed in the Honda and the driver was unhurt and 'ok' about it all (under the circumstances etc).

4 of them looked for the wheel but after some time gave up!

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sounds like the place that did the bearing may be accountable, hub nuts don't just strip on a whim. There must have been a visible problem or the job was not done right.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Shows the audi build quality, one wheel will write off an entire honda. Bolt the hub back up, stick the wheel back on and get going. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

I know this might be a dumb question, but it's my speciality :-p

I wonder if the Honda driver would be able to claim from the Audi driver - who wasn't technically involved in the accident as such other than by virtue of their lost wheel, or whether their own insurance would have to foot the bill.

The Audi drivers' insurance might argue that the inability of the other driver to do an emergency stop isn't their problem...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

The Audi driver is driving an unsafe vehicle that falls apart mid journey, throwing a part at another car. Why would the Audi driver (and hence insurance company) not be responsible? :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

The usual practice when there are claims from a knock on effect (e.g. car hits another in the rear, which shunts into the one in front, which shunts....) is for the last hit vehicle to claim off the one behind who adds the amount to his claim against the one behind him, etc. Therefore I would expect the Honda driver to claim off the Audi driver who claims that and his damage off whoever is responsible for the wheel problem.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Is the correct answer.

Reply to
malc

No probs - I wasn't sure if the Audi driver could be blamed for it directly, that was all... oh, and it'd be interesting to know if the Audi had been MOTd in the intervening period...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

I did see an interesting incident when both back wheels came off a car at the same time, and the car coasted to a stop running on the tow ball at the rear of the vehicle. The police where more than a bit interested in having a chat with the driver of that car :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Interesting stuff.

He currently awaiting the report from a different garage (to the one that changed the bearings recently) re if it was poor workmanship etc.

I'll let you know how it all pans out.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to