Open door indicator

After I received my car back from MOT garage, the open door indicator for a rear door stays constantly on after the door is closed. That never happened before the visit to the garage. Wonder if lifting the car in the garage has affected the wiring? Car is 1993 Saab 9000.

Reply to
johannes

Shouldn't have done.

Reply to
Conor

See the sensor is in the door or the pillar. If it is in the door, then it passes through the flexi concertina piece.

It might have chafed the wire and shorted.

Reply to
Elder

johannes presented the following explanation :

That should not affect it. Usually the switches are on the door lock mechanism and usually prove the door is fully locked rather than just latched.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I wonder what happened? I know that the tester has opened the door the check the rear seat belt. Maybe he pushed the door while open at the limit?

Reply to
johannes

Who would you have blamed if the same thing happened while the car was in your own garage overnight?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Shit happens. It's nothing more than that.

Reply to
Conor

I'd like to know exactly what johannes thinks they could have done and also why they'd go out of their way to.

Reply to
Conor

This question isn't neutral, it uses the premise that this can just happen by itself. It also uses the premise that MOT garage can do no wrong.

Reply to
johannes

It happens that johannes formulated :

Faults can and do often develop without anyone doing anything wrong, or interfering with an item.

They do, but what is the likelihood that they have caused damage in this case - pretty well nil. It is not one of the items they inspect and the parts at fault are probably buried deep in the door.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And this is correct, it can. I can park up my Capri after a long run out and when the exhaust contracts, with it being stainless, it can crack a weld. Likewise I can drive down a road and hit a pothole, the car body flex and the windscreen crack. Or over a period of thousands of door openings and closings, the insulation on a wire could get worn down and the bare wire touch the outside of the hole, creating a circuit and putting the light on. Or over a period of thousands of door openings and closings, the light switch on the door could have failed.

So come on then. You're so convinced it was the MOT testing stations fault that what do you think they did to create the fault?

Reply to
Conor

The door was probably opened and closed more and wider during the test than for the previous several months, if most people's rear door usage (those without kids anyway) is anything to go by.

The switch could have been waiting to go, this just tipped it over the edge.

Reply to
PCPaul

That seems a very valid premise.

No, it doesn't presume that.