Orion 16v Temperature Sender

A neighbour whilst jump starting his 92 Orion 1.8 16v came across a wire which "was not connected". I have determined it is for the temperature gauge (earth it and gauge goes off the scale) - but where on earth is the sender?

I thought easy front of head - No. Looked everywhere i could think of that the wire would reach and can't see the thing. Anybody know these engines?

The engine won't even turn over at the moment which I am assuming is because the ECU is not getting a temperature signal?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Mac

The temp gauge sender is under the thermostat housing nr the coil pack on the Zetec engine, and on this EEC 4 ecu car, is entirely separate from the ecu's temp sender which is under the inlet manifold at the back of the head.

You have an entirely un-related fault as the missing temp singal will not prevent cranking.-

Please tell us if this is a PATS equiped car (red or blue chip in key) if so, and the immobilizer lamp is flashing wildly then you have an immobilizer fault- which does interupt the starter motor.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Mac slebbered:

If it's a 16v then it's a Zetec engine.

Basically the current is passed thru the sender into this wire which is in turn earthed by the thermistor embedded in the cooling system (not too sure exactly - could be in the block just to the right of the engine with the big thick hose going in or it could be nearer the radiator).

This will be an unrelated issue as when the engine is cold, the sender will have a high resistance and the ECU will think that the engine is cold all the time, so it should start.

If the engine isn't turning over then I think you should be looking at trouble shooting the cranking system in the car - such as the ignition switch, starter motor and associated doo-hickeys and the battery connections itself.

Don't take what I say as gospel though, there are far more competent hombres in here that will probably tell you exactly what's wrong - I'm just giving my two pence worth :-)

HTH,

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Thanks for your help.

No chip in Key but it does have an aftermarket alarm a Clifford thing. Don't know whether it has an immobiliser so I guess it's out with the multi meter to see what's going on.

It's one of these jobs where you know somebody has been messing with it and you are trying to find out what they have done! All godd fun.

Ross

Reply to
Mac