OT: Anybody know what it's like getting from Stockport to North Sheffield during rush hour?

OK I know this is OT, but I doubt there is a uk.rec.cars.journey group.

I've got a job interview just north of Sheffield, I'd be going from Stockport. For some reason I thought the two were joined by a motorway (M67) but I was way out. It all looks like a pretty major but single lane 'A' road over the Peak District (A628, A616).

I gave it a bash last night and it took about an hour and ten with no traffic. I've never come across so many marked, unmarked, average speed and traffic cameras. TomTom was doing its nut, sounded like I was driving a clown car.

Does anybody know if this flows during rush hour? Being a Northerner I'm not used to spending 3-4 hours a day commuting to earn my daily crust :D

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Shudder...

Imagine holwing wind and driving rain, and a swaying truck in front of you night after night.

Reply to
R D S

That's very much the feeling I got. I went over at 19:30ish, it was busy then and lots of trucks. Might not be such an issue if it as least moves at a reasonable pace though.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I use the A57, can be a nice drive when its quiet.. usually a build up of traffic in Glossop which can take 15-20 min on the big hill...

Reply to
Jules

Well, uk.rec.driving comes close, I guess.

However I know nothing of Stockport, North Sheffield or the roads between them.

Reply to
David Taylor

Never done the run in rush hour, only for ice hockey games, but it's not a drive I'd contemplate doing weekly, let alone daily. Nasty route. And when it snows and they close the passes...

Reply to
asahartz

================================== This might help:

The number of speed cameras suggest that it's actually quite a fast route!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

No. It's absolutely shit, really really shit. Tons of lorries and when loaded, we struggle to do 40MPH.

What's worse is that during rush hour, the M62 isn't really much better once you get past J22.

Reply to
Conor

So the overall conclusion is it's pretty grim. Shame really as it's a dream job (if there can be such a thing). But if they close the road on bad winter days it'll increase the journey from 40miles to 80! Plus I think it'll take me 30-40 minutes just to get into Stockport down the A6 during rush hour.

Damn

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

If the job is *that* good, is it worth moving house for?

I did. Everything here (Gloucester) is more expensive than there (just outside Cardiff) but overall I'm making more money and enjoying the work a lot more here.

Reply to
PC Paul

I thought about that, people must do it all the time. But the cost of moving house would probably be £10-15k in this day and age. I live in a nice spot close the Peak District, unfortunately the wrong side :D

Worth while advise anyway, I think I'll cancel the interview. It sounds as bad as I expected.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

A friend of mine commutes between Marple and Sheffield using the train. I 'think' they're relaxed about arrival times but it may be an option. No idea if it gets closed by bad weather.

Reply to
pjlusenet