OT appreciate some help to sort out insurance claim after bent car

Appreciate some help with this lot...

After an accident, if the insurance company say they want to write the car off (because the cost of repair is too high), do they then own the car?

It looks from the accident report form that they can decide to writeoff whether the owner agrees or not?

Her outdoors is looking at a £650 bill for repair to her car which is worth ?only? £2500. The insurance company haven't said anything yet ? but the bloke at the garage said they might say is a write-off. The car is otherwise in very good condition and only done 25k miles even though is 2001 reg. There is a £125 excess and for that I think I can fix it.

So I was wondering if I should fix what I can of it myself and not claim. I can do the mechanical bits but the bent bonnet would have to stay bent ? even though it locks/unlocks fine. If I did this maybe a bent bonnet is an MOT fail?

If its is written off, and can we get to buy the ?scrap? vehicle? But then I suppose it would be impossible to insure - is that right?

Have heard so many variations of how to sort this out we'd really appreciate some advice from you guys that that know for real on *any* of the above points. thanks.

Reply to
dave

dave gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Usually, yes.

Basically, yes. If you're the innocent party, and the other insurance are paying (rather than you claiming off yours, who reclaim from the other) then you can persuade them to repair come what may - but if you're at fault or claiming off yours, then - yep, they say it's toast, it's toast.

Unlikely to write it off, then.

No. But any sharp edges would be.

Yep. You can get the car back in lieu of part of the write-off value -

10-15% normally.

No. If it's written off as a CatC - repairs in excess of the value - then it'll need to go through an identity check before it can go back on the road. If it's CatD (decided not to repair), no problem. Either way, it will be on the car's record, and come up on any HPI check. I think a CatC is recorded on the V5, too, but don't quote me on that.

Reply to
Adrian

My cars just been written off. I could have the full value and they take it away or accept a bit less, I *think* it was 20% and keep it and have it repaired.

I guess it depends on the damage, whether or not it is simply "beyond economic repair", in the case of an old car like mine or positively dangerous, when it should *never* take to the road again. Each case being dealt with on it's merits

The assessor said that many people initially decide to keep the car, thinking they will get it repaired and then some weeks later, contact the Insurance comany, requesting it's recovered for the full amount. I don't know what they do in those circumstances.

Andy C.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thanks vm both - a really great help.